Coffee pot argument

Page 2 of 3
Sign from God. Time to join the Mormons and give up coffee. Are you listening, people?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

the
Coffe has over 1000 chemicals in it. Ahhh, coffee, the other drug!
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:41:02 -0600, "Mike Dobony"

A few years ago, Reader's Digest had an article on coffee. Author stated that if you injected the amount of caffeine in one cup of coffee directly into a vein, you would not live to pull the needle out.

same goes for nicotine. except it can be absorbed straight through the skin.
Stormn Mormonn brought up some really good points! Ignorant people like him give Mormons a bad reputation. Has this DUMB ASS every seen what coca-cola does to a 16 penny nail? Coffee changes it's color ... Coke eats to nothing. How come Mormons can drink coke and life is rosy but look down at people for drinking coffee and wine. Urrrr! "Thou shall not drink strong drink." Whats stronger Stormn Mormonn, Coke, Vanilla Coke, Diet Coke, Caffeine free Coke, Caffeine Free Diet Coke, Caffeine free diet vanilla Coke, Coffee or an Ignorant Mormon?
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF http://www.utahhousevalues.com
Scalding Mormon wrote:

You are obviously ignorant. I am not a Mormon, but I know enough of their practices to know that they also do not drink soda. Get a life, and stop trying to trash the way others choose to live their lives. I would not want to live the life style that Mormons choose, but I do have a great deal of respect for them.
C G Wrote:

I live in the Mormon capital of the world and was raised Mormon, I definitely not ignorant. Lets clarify ignorance, unknowing! You must be ignorant if you think that Mormons don't drink soda, I can think of 50 people who are Mormon that drink soda. I know wonderful people who are Mormons and drink soda and cuss too. The only difference is they use Flipping for the F-word. Does this make them a self-righteous jerk NO! You and I are in agreement, we are not Mormon and respect them as people. Brass Tacks ... This guy posting religious beliefs, which are not inherent to the Mormon congregation as a whole, in unassociated newsgroups Stereotypes Mormons and that's my point. I'll risk $50 bucks by betting that this dork drinks coke or Pepsi of whatever variety and doesn't consider it a strong drink.
As far as the Bunn-0-matic I would trash it and buy a maker that uses #4 cone shaped filters and a thermo carafe. The burner ruins the taste after 15 minutes.
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF http://www.utahhousevalues.com
On 27 Nov 2003 05:46:28 GMT, Scalding Mormon <http://www.utahhousevalues.com/contact.cfm wrote:>I live in the Mormon capital of the world and was raised Mormon, I

So, why is it that Mormons don't drink coffee ?
I'm betting that someone took Joseph Smith to a Starbucks and made him drink that acidic crap they claim is coffee, and he just decided that it all was evil.
snipped-for-privacy@spammers.com says...

All summer I thought this idiot was a high school student with nothing better to do. Now it appears he's a dropout with nothing better to do.
Rick

Which "God" would that be, Stormin'? The one that "has a body of flesh and bone, as tangible as a man's"? [That's a direct quote from 'Doctrine and Covenants', by the way.]
The God I believe in is a pure spirit.

The real Jesus, the historical Jesus, who's birth to a virgin, life, date and method of His death, and His resurrection were prophesied from 500 to about 4,000 years earlier, is flesh and blood and spirit and eternal. He is NOT the God of the mormon church.
Anyway, what does this cult have to do with making great coffee?
-- Mike D.
www.stopassaultnow.org
Remove .spamnot to respond by email

Miss America?
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 11:17:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

pot - kettle = black
BB
says...

My willingness to listen drops dramatically as soon as someone starts promoting or criticizing anyone's religion. I don't think anyone comes here to discuss faith. Please confine your discussions to home repair.
Rick

Might be. Might not. I have all too often allowed a pot on the warmer to become dry (BTW, don't remove the pot with the burned-on coffee while it's hot. Just switch off the machine and be prepared to scrub the pot when it's cooled.), but never had the warmer fail. Most recently, whatever caused the input water to boil (on my most favorite coffee maker to date) did not affect the warming plate. Electrical things fail for many reasons. Perhaps smaller twin pots are in your future?
See also: historical material on filling ice cube trays and styles of toothpaste-tube squeezing. :-)

Once the warmer has evaporated off all the liquid, the temperature in the element will go up. Prior to that, it will stay constant (at most somewhere close to the boiling point of water).
It should _not_ present a fire risk (otherwise, UL and/or CSA ain't doing their job) by being limited to a safe value (ie: bi-metallic strip thermal breaker, choosing the element so it won't go above safe levels, etc).
However, running the element at elevated temperatures will accelerate the aging of the element and possibly other components.
How much that shortens the lifetime of the unit will depend on how well the unit designed and made, and what the ultimate temperature (without water) is.
It _may_ have been the cause. It may not have been. There's no real way to tell without doing a full autopsy on the remains. Did the element fry? Did a switch go defective? Did a wire fall off? Poor solder joint? Etc.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
On 26 Nov 2003 18:14:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

Exactly how does this happen?
Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...
Trent
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Good physics question! But as I thought about this one, I came to the conclusion that the previous poster may be correct. The coffee pot and the liquid in it absorb heat from the heater. They radiate that heat into the room, cooling the heater in the process. As the coffee is used up or evaporates, there is less mass and surface area to radiate heat away from the heater. Once the pot is completely empty, only the pot itself remains to radiate the heat away. It is a less efficient radiator than a full or partially full pot, so the temperature of the heating element will rise a little. Whether it would actually make a difference in the life of the heating element is a whole other story.
Rick

Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that, yet, somewhat more predictable.
The heater generates a certain amount of heat. The heater will come into equilibrium with the heat dissipation abilities of the "load" (carafe plus liquids). As the heat differential between the heater and ambient goes up, so does the heat dissipation rate (radiation). So, at some point the heat gained matches the heat lost.
Further, water sheds heat, both by simple radiation, but also (at elevated temperatures) by heat-of-evaporation. This predominates in determining the temperature of the carafe.
The effect is so extreme with water that it's virtually impossible to raise the vessel's temperature (assuming reasonable heat conduction, and a glass carafe certainly qualifies) above the boiling point of water. For example, you can boil water in a paper bag over an open flame.
Even below boiling point, water evaporates readily, and the heat-of-evaporation loss is the main determinant of the carafe temperature.
The problem being that once the water evaporates completely, there's no longer the hard-limit of 212F, and the much weaker heat dissipation abilities of the carafe are the only limiting factor (aside from a thermal cutout).
Or, if you're boiling water in a paper bag over an open flame, once the water's gone, _poof_!

All things being equal, the higher temperature you run an element, the shorter the lifespan.
I've also seen "boiled off" carafes shatter or crack.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
On 27 Nov 2003 18:19:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

The heating element is manufactured to provide a certain amount of heat. It can NEVER deliver more than it is manufactured to do.
It will eventually burn out...no matter how well it is manufactured.
And...it heats a heating platform. Its not CONNECTED to the heating platform in this particular case...a coffee maker. And the coffee pot sits...or doesn't sit sometimes...on that platform. The platform is heated by the coils.
The heating element is always gonna heat that platform. It makes no difference whether ANYTHING is on that platform. The heating element doesn't care about ANY kind of heat sink.
So...no pot...a full pot...a half-full pot...an evaporated pot...makes no difference. The maximum that the heating element can operate is simply THAT...its maximum. Any heat sink that is on the platform that it is heating simply draws from that output. It can't draw MORE than the heating coil can deliver.
I have a 2-piece slow cooker that works the same way. It makes no difference if I have anything on the 'burner'...which is simply a metal platform with the heating coil underneath. It will heat anything above it...without burning out the coils...even if there is NOTHING above it...except air.