Coffee pot argument

Page 1 of 3
We have a Bunn Pour-O-Matic which has the warmer. The other person in the house would let an almost empty pot sit on the warmer. Needless to say the coffee would be so strong, only they could drink it.
Well, now the warmer has gone south. I swear its because they let the nearly empty pot sit there for hours with the coffee just scalding hot. Could I be a tad bit right about this?
You think not enough heat transfer into a sufficient amount of coffee? Hmm. There's a tad bit of a chance you're right, but there's a tad bit of a chance that a) you should have finished the coffee yourself and shut it off, b) that a Bunn Pour-o-matic is a piece of crap and doesn't last long, c) that it got hit by lightning, d) that a little man came in at night at sabotaged the machine. Point is that you are not really seeking ideas on what happened to the coffee maker. I think you shuld make peace in the family by buying a new one with a ribbon on it.

As long as there was liquid in the pot, the warmer should not burn out. But, I would not allow a warmer to run for hours at a time. Hope you have a smoke detector and fire insurance, though. Fires from kitchen appliances are more common than you think (talk with the fire department or insurance agent). Look for an auto-off feature on your next purchase.

I think that for your next purchase you might want to consider a drip coffee maker with a insulated carafe. Good coffee tastes immensely better from one of those carafes. If you let the coffee sit on any burner for any time, you are losing flavor- but gaining heat <g>. Just try a carafe one. I bought a Cuisinart w/insulated carafe and will never go back. FWIW I saw at our Wal-Mart that GE has what looks like an insulated carafe coffee maker selling for about $32. I don't know how good it could be for $32 but the visual is good. aloha, Thunder http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:36:02 GMT, Smithfarms Pure Kona
[snip]

My wife has been needling me to get a coffee maker with carafe, but what she's shown me has been $200 :-( What did the Cuisinart cost?
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I have a 12-cup Mr. Coffee maker that makes excellent coffee with any brand of coffee--two pots a day. I paid only $16 for it 6 years ago.
said...

You can make good coffee in just about anything. The only key is to not drink coffee that has been sitting on a burner. I brew mine in the morning and pour a cup the second it's done and then turn off the burner.
'course - if you like bitter there's nothing like a pot that's been sitting on the burner for half a day.
Don't make the mistake we made by purchasing a Mr. Coffee coffee maker with the 8-cup stainless steel carafe. The box says it's insulated. The whole truth is only the bottom is insulated, the sides are single wall. The Mr. Coffee engineers must think that most of the heat is lost through the bottom of the carafe.
The insulated bottom also means there is no electric warmer to keep the coffee warm. The coffee comes out mildly hot and quickly drops in temperature.
Also, the water tank apparently comes from another model that holds twelve cups. So, to stop you from over filling the tank, they punched a hole at the eight cup level. If you overfill the tank a bit, water runs out of the hole all over your counter top.
Finally, the carafe barely has a lip so the coffee drips down the side like crazy. We hate this thing.

Are you sure? Mine has a glass vacuum bottle inside.
Coffeenut wrote:

We don't care about your skull.
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:19:51 -0800 Coffeenut wrote :

Positive.
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:13:57 -0700, Jim Thompson

Dear Jim, Sorry to be so late in repsonding....we went to another island for Thanksgiving and just got back. My carafe cost about $90 last year. It is just a Cuisinart. Again, you will get far better coffee from the carafe. Your wife is right:)! aloha, Thunder http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
"Smithfarms Pure Kona" wrote

Which model do you recommend in the Cuisinart?

Sorry to be late in answering -we just got back from a Thanksgiving trip. As I wrote to someone above, our Cuisinart cost about $90 last year, on sale from Macy's. I just checked and it doesn't have any numbers or anything on the coffee maker. It is a stainless steel looking carafe and the rest of the machine is black. I promise your coffee will be better.
My sister just told me that "Cook's Illustrated" - a lengthy esoteric cook book says do not use anything but a carafe type drip coffee maker to make your daily coffee. Agreed. aloha Thunder http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:36:02 GMT, Smithfarms Pure Kona

And how do you like your Cuisinart? Price?
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
Jim Thompson wrote:

I'm glad to discuss it here news:misc.consumers.house aloha, Thunder http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

You're a lucky man. Now you can throw that piece of junk in the garbage and buy a vacuum bottle coffee pot.
Kevin Nitz wrote:

amount of coffee in it to keep the coil at a reasonable temp... the coil got too hot as there was not enough coffee in it and it burned up....
So do electric heaters burn up because nothing is on them , no , Was there a recall on it because of fire, No, Are you arguing with family over nothing, . well your lucky now no more burnt coffee. Microwave it

How much coffee does it need, Jim? And did you mean liquid?...or coffee?
Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...
Trent