Coffee Maker Troubles...

I have a Black & Decker "Cup at a Time" coffee maker that will not make a full cup of coffee. It will make about 3/4 of a cup and shut off with still more water in the reservoir yet to be brewed. It also takes much longer to brew the coffee than before. The coffee maker is not even two years old, but I'm afraid it may be time to replace it unless I can find suggestions on what may be wrong with it.
Any ideas? -Felder
On 2006-01-29 09:03:29 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com said:

vinegar?

Ya' got your $12 worth out of it. Go buy another one...
Edw
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Mineral deposits from hard water. Run a few cups of vinegar through it, and it should be fine.
--
Regards,
:I have a Black & Decker "Cup at a Time" coffee maker that will not make : a full cup of coffee. It will make about 3/4 of a cup and shut off with : still more water in the reservoir yet to be brewed. It also takes much : longer to brew the coffee than before. The coffee maker is not even two : years old, but I'm afraid it may be time to replace it unless I can : find suggestions on what may be wrong with it. : : Any ideas? : -Felder :
2 Years? I think our record for a coffee pot like that is 9 months, and that was the last B&D we just tossed out.
It doesn't seem to matter what you pay; they don't even last a y ear anymore.
Pop

You know, that is not true. IF you buy a good coffee maker- it will last. We've had our Cuisinart one for at least 4 years. Cost less than $100, but it works like a charm- every single day.
I believe....you get what you pay for:), even in coffee makers.
aloha, Thunder
smithfarms.com Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

We use a Mr. Coffee at work, Some days it is on 24 hours and makes 8 or 10 pots. They last 2 to 3 years with all sorts of abuse in the breakroom. For less than $25, it seems to be a good deal to me.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

    I've had a cheapo 4 cup Mr Coffee and used it every day for over 10 years and never had a problem with it. I clean it every three months or so by running vinegar through it. It has more to do with luck than how much you pay for it. Remember they used to say to never buy a car that was manufactured on a Monday. Same make, same model manufactured on a Wednesday was a different car. Many times you don't get what you pay for.     Bob
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'm with the others. Vinegar first, if that doesn't work - toss it. They don't cost enough for me to even pull a cover looking for a loose wire. That is assuming you don't have a high end 'yuppie' model.
Harry K

I agree with others that coffee makers are generally pretty durable. Try the vinegar routine. If that doesn't work, replace it if it's as cheap as my $20 basic Braun ten cup job. If it's a fancy job worth repairing, look in the bowels of the thing where the heater element is. There is a small thermostat element wired in series with the main heating element. When no more water is passing through the heater, the temperature rises and the thermostat cuts off the power except for enough to provide warming of the brewed coffee. Replacement thermostats should be available. Probably not worth the trouble if it's a one cupper.
SJF
Well I ran a water/vinegar mix through three times then straight water twice. She runs like a champ now. It was one of those cheap'o $20 coffee makers.
-Felder