Code violations, including storage of gasoline outside?

Page 2 of 2
Stormin Mormon wrote:

face. Neighbors complained to ME, so that made it more of an issue. He is a real pack rat, not just a guy with a lot of "stuff" :o)
I talked 'til I was blue in the face about his lousy diet, and he didn't listen to that, either, until he got his stent. Now he behaves :o)

You actually know this guy?

You don't have a hotmail or gmail address to use? I thought everyone did, or at least us that like to be anonymous at times.

So, send him a letter asking for clarification.
How did you learn of the complaints? What exactly did they say? Did you actually *get* a complaint from someone in authority, or is this gossip/hearsay?

Actually, it usually *is* "all of them", because the *problem* is in the general trashiness of the property. You might address some of the specifics you list - Norm is right that, for everyone who complains, there are like 10 more who aren't happy with it either. Addressing some of the items you know about well enough to tell us about it (!) may keep it down below the complaint threshold.

So make it better than not "so bad". I take it you even know you're pushing the limits of tolerance in your community.
You know, if I placed a bet that any given complaint I hear described wouldn't be accompanied by a description of "nastiness" of said complainer, I'd more often lose the money. It's like hearing divorced people talk about their exes. Yes, both halves of the same couple. It's always how awful and abusive the *other* one is.
Look - it's immaterial, irrelevant. You actally *listed* some things that you know look bad. Just Fix Them. Better, look at the codes and covenants (if any) of your community and Just Follow Them.
Just keep your nose clean. If there be belligerent complainers (they do exist, but not nearly so often as some like to claim), they'll complain about someone *else*. That would solve your issue with any of these that may exist - no?

No silly. Go to your local governing boards, whatever they may be. Town, condo association, whatever.
Banty

No way to say this especially nicely ... a STACK of lawnmowers???
Sounds like a junk yard, and if I was your neighbor, I'd be annoyed, too.
nancy

LOL, this is a hoot! The original poster must be a troll. Could you imagine living besides someone like this?
Then, they wonder why the code inspector is on them.
I shudder to think what the inside of their place is like.
Torching the place seems to be the best idea, to clean this rat trap up.
"Olley" wrote

Grin, I had a next door neighbor like that, but he kept it all behind his fenced back yard. I had no issues with it.
Nancy Young wrote:

to believe he has all this stuff in front of his house and then is surprised that someone complained.

One of the things about a townhouse is you dont have a really private 'yard' most likely. That means the sort of things you might store in a fenced private backyard of a house, are problematic in your situation. I'd sell all but one of the lawn-mowers and get rid of the wood except the discrete piece you say is under the porch and not visible. I'd think of replacing that too with some sort of paving stone.
The gas, just left out in the sun isnt very safe. It's the one that may be a code violation.
You may want to consider one of the smaller rubber-maid storage sheds. They have several designs of small ones that seem to be workable for your situation. Make sure it's vented if storing gasoline or a lawnmower with gasoline in it.
"stack of lawn mowers". Really opens up the imagination.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
<scissor>

I'm hearing/reading two things in the thread here. Code VS HOA CC&Rs.
Please clarify if the city/county informed you or is this a HOA tenant thing.

Oh, so many comments and so little time.
First off, if you think he made a complaint and no one has forwarded it to you, maybe the CEO blew it off and didn't think it was worth the hassle of investigating.
Don't call the guy. Call the CEO. Calling the guy is just going to cause an argument. When you call the CEO, don't mention what you think the guy said, just ask if it's true and let him tell you what it says, if anything. You don't want to say anything and open a can of worms.
While storing gasoline outside is not a code issue, it might be a HOA issue. But the CEO doesn't enforce HOA issues. However, if you were to store it inside, THAT would be a code issue. We require tenants to be 10 feet from the our buildings with anything flammable, so the the 6' issue might be a 10' thing but the CEO isn't going to make a federal case out if it because all yo have to do it pick it up and move it.
I doubt is wood on the ground is a code issue, esp if it's under a cover. But again, it might be a HOA issue.
Repairing your MC in your yard might be a code issue but would likely be a HOA issue.
Storing the movers might be a legit issue.
Good luck with it.

What makes you think storing gasoline outside in a can sitting in the yard is not a code issue? I would think most municipalities would have strict regulations on how gasoline and similar flammables may be stored. There are a number of obvious issues, one of which is a ready target for vandalism. Also, today, even if an auto accident spills a couple gallons of oil, gas, or antifreeze, it's treated as an environmental cleanup. So, I would not be at all surprised to find that there are reqts that gasoline be stored in a secured location as opposed to sitting a can in the yard.
But the CEO doesn't enforce HOA issues. However, if you were

Does that include vodka, lighter fluid, flammable spot remover, many paint related products, etc? Do you have garages and if so, what about the gasoline in tanks of cars, motorcycles, etc? Plus, there is an obvious difference in what a landlord can require in a rental agreement, vs what HOA or local codes allow.
so the the