Code for under sink water heater?

I am finishing a detached workshop (no living space) that will have a gas unit heater. In the bathroom, I want to put an *electric* 6 gallon water heater under the sink (in the sink cabinet, the WH would be about 5" off the floor). It would have the necessary drain pan and relief valve, both to the outside.

For residential garages, code says water heaters need to be 18" off the floor. Does this apply for this situation?

Thanks, Rob'

Reply to
Rob

isn't the code for gas heaters?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Gas water heaters are elevated to help reduce the chance of ignition of gasoline vapors which tend to lay low to the floor. So....does not apply to your heater.

I would assume you'll need a separate circuit for the heater.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I'm not sure why he doesn't use the 'instant on' electric water heaters. They fit under the lav space, they only use energy when you ask for hot water, and they have an endless supply of hot water when needed. They might be a little more money now, but with electricity costing as much as it does, it might save ya in the long run over keeping 6 gallons hot all the time.

It's only a suggestion though.

Reply to
Zypher

Is that still necessary with the new type of gas water heaters which have the new safety features?

Reply to
Daniel Prince

Can't give you an expert answer to that one. Also, bear in mind that Codes vary all over this country. Go here:

Click on Water Heater. There is a also a clickable link to a pic of requirements and it doesn't make any exceptions to the 18" rule.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

As Zypher said tankless are cheaper to operate, Electricity for my area at .125Kwh is more than double the cost of gas, If you have the $ a Bosch pilotless gas will save the most. Heating 5 gal may not sound like much, but it is 365 days. Or go electric tankless, but you need a large circuit.

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
George C Fahrlender

I once worked for a small company. There was only one bathroom, and the water for the sink was heated by a small tankless watter heater. The heater was perhaps the size of a two liter bottle, maybe a bit smaller. It was plugged into an outlet under the sink. It was 120 volt, but I'm not sure on the amperage.

Now if it were a whole house heater, I would agree with you. But I believe the OP wanted something for just that one sink.

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Fritz

The Brits call these things a "geyser" and they are common as mud over there and in Europe. You see them as deluze add-ons for some kitchens inks also as "instant hot-water" service. Handy for a cup or cocoa or such.

Jim P.

Reply to
Jim

Bob K 207