cockoroach problem getting worse

I live in an old buliding with my granfather and mother we have roaches everywhere. I have cleaned everywhere put roach bait out and still I am having roaches. The landlord has not taken care of the things that the Inspector has asked him to do. So I am not going to whine about it any longer it is an old bulding and we cannot do anything about it the landlord is even intitled to rent if he does not fix the problems I live in a city where I have to put up or shut up. There is no rent control either.

Reply to
skarsan

buffalobill

Rent control has it's own problems (says someone who was rent stabilized for 10 years.)

I never relied on my landlord for much, and that worked pretty well because he never did much. Boric acid is the easiest roach controller, and very cheap when bought as plain boric acid. There is no need to make your kitchen look ridiculous with thick rows along all the walls, like I've seen others do it. I just put it behind the stove, where no one but the roaches saw it. Did you know that if you stand in Times Square, eventually you'll see everyone you know. Well if you lie behind the stove, eventually every roach in the place will walk by. Either that, or the ones that do walk by bring it back to the others.

But we also had wallpaper that the stupid schoolgirl tenants before me had painted over, which encouraged it to make it come up at the edges and let the roaches live underneath. So I bought a half gallon of something poisonous, with a plastic hose and hand held sprayer, but I didn't use spray for 10 foot ceilings. I just used stream and laid down a bunch where the roaches were. They'd come out running and dying. And they wouldn't live there again for a few months.

Most of the 10 years I lived there roaches were not a problem, but once they got started, they grew and 1 year was poor and 1 years was pretty bad.

Finally the coup de grace was to bomb them. In Brooklyn they sold good product at the hardware store, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to get this stuff other than NYC. Bombs are poison in an aerosol can, and you get everyone out of the house for 24 hours. The last one out sets the bombs. Sometimes only one is necessary, but we had 6 large rooms and 3 baths, so I did one for the kitchen and one in the middle of the rest of the apartment.

All the windows should be closed, pets removed, the light switches should be taped, so that no one turns them on or off before the place is vented at the end of the 24 hours. The bombs are set up vertically. Then each of the bombs is started, and it will spray straight up without any fingers applied until the can is empty and the whole room is filled with mist, that gets into all the cracks and niches. You should be long gone by then. I was gone in 30 seconds from the first one.

We came back 24 hours or more later, and there were no or almost no roaches for a few years after this, until I moved to Baltimore.

In theory, eveyrone in the building should kill their roaches at the same time, so they don't just vacation in another apartment and then come back later, but I didn't check with anyone else and in this case it didn't seem to matter. Should have bombed at the start of the

2-year period, I guess, but it was a learning experience.

NYC doesn't have as many chains as the rest of the country, and I don't remember the names of the stores I shopped at 23 years ago.

Maybe yp.yahoo.com will enable you to find someone who will ship, if you can't find bombs where you live. I hope the ones now are as good as then.

Isnt there a special newsgroup for exterminating or vermin?

Reply to
mm

Maybe I'm thinking of State and Randolph in Chicago. I know there's some place like that!

Reply to
mm

Go rent the movie "Joe's Apartment".

Doug

Reply to
Doug

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says... :) I live in an old buliding with my granfather and mother we have roaches :) everywhere. I have cleaned everywhere put roach bait out and still I am :) having roaches. The landlord has not taken care of the things that the :) :)

Assuming you are dealing with German roaches and not the large outdoor roaches getting in. The combat gel bait will work fine for you. It comes in a large syringe and place small dabs where the roaches are hiding and living, don't just put it about and expect them to come and get it.

Reply to
Lar

Might want to play the game "Bad Mojo" as well.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I tried the combat roach bait traps and they are working fine We are thinking of moving from here soon.

Reply to
skarsan

Wherever you go the roaches will probably follow. They know a good thing.

Reply to
Al Bundy

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says... :) :) Lar wrote: :) > In article , :) > snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says... :) > :) I live in an old buliding with my granfather and mother we have roaches :) > :) everywhere. I have cleaned everywhere put roach bait out and still I am :) > :) having roaches. The landlord has not taken care of the things that the :) > :) :) > :) :) >

:) > Assuming you are dealing with German roaches and not the large outdoor :) > roaches getting in. The combat gel bait will work fine for you. It :) > comes in a large syringe and place small dabs where the roaches are :) > hiding and living, don't just put it about and expect them to come and :) > get it. :) > -- :) > Lar :) :) I tried the combat roach bait traps and they are working fine We are :) thinking of moving from here soon. :) :)

Not the bait stations, but the "gel" formulation. Much quicker results.

Reply to
Lar

What elese would you try? The bait stations and Raid work.

Reply to
skarsan

I don't have much of a solution other than get on your cha-cha heels on and turn up the dance music. Roaches are tough pest to deal with. Personally, I'd move, perhaps talk with a lawyer who can offer you more options.

Reply to
Phisherman

This site is exceptionally good. Thanks.

Reply to
Phisherman

Or she could eat 13 of them and win an ipod.

could play the music as she danced on the varmits.

Reply to
Al Bundy