coats of paint

I've got a couple of rooms that have a medium to dark color (I think brown and some navy blue stripe) and I want to paint it like a coconut or off white color. I'm expecting 2 coats of a decent quality paint to cover it but is it possible it could take 3 coats of paint? I realize I'll know this once the 2 coats are on it but for now, what is your guess?
On 6/12/2012 2:40 PM, Doug wrote:

depends upon what you're using for paint.
you might go with a primer base, tinted to 50% of your eventual eventual color, followed by a coat of good paint.
my guess is you won't know until you get 2 coats up.
On 6/12/2012 5:56 PM, chaniarts wrote:

The better paints have more hiding power due to higher pigment content.
On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:56:38 -0700, chaniarts

You need a high hide paint. A bit of raw umber and black added to a white makes for a pretty good hide.

I used behr paint with primer, one coat. I had to be careful to look for spots that didn't cover. Your colors, probably 2 coats. I painted my kitchen red, at least 4 coats using the old glidden without primer. Red over white.
Greg

If you want to be safe and not have to worry about the number of coats of paint, you might consider a single coat of a white primer first and then the paint. I like to think of it as creating a white canvas for my topcoat of paint. I like using BIN but there are water based alternatives.
Good Luck.