Coating for headphone ear pads?

I have some old Technics headphones for which replacement pads are no longer sold. They work fine, but the leather-look coating has mostly flaked off the fabric covering the ear pads, leaving it likely to soak up perspiration and get smelly.

Has anyone found an acceptable way of re coating such things? Rustoleum Vinyl spray paint?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I tried the Rustoleum Vinyl spray paint on one pad, but it made the pad much harder. I couldn't find online any pads of the same design that looked like they would be a good fit, so I've ordered some that are designed for Audio Technica headphones but have an adhesive backing and should be able to be attached in place of the original ones. They're coming from China (doesn't everything these days? -- but I mean that they are coming directly from China by mail), so it will be a while before they arrive.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Another possibility is spray on Plasti-dip. Might be to rigid though.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

On 17 Sep 2015, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in alt.home.repair:

Are you sure that pads aren't sold? I've replaced the pads on several old headphones with generic ones bought on eBay, Amazon, and elsewhere.

Reply to
Nil

Generic foam ear pads are certainly sold, but I haven't seen any that are big enough to fit over these earpieces, which pretty much engulf the whole ear. The original pads have a "rib" on the back that fits into a groove that runs around the whole earpiece; many headphones have such an arrangement, but I couldn't find any the right size for mine.

I do recall that 30+ years ago, "National Panasonic" (as it was known in Australia, and "Technics" being a division of Panasonic) announced that they would not be making parts for devices more than 10 years old.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

On 26 Sep 2015, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in alt.home.repair:

OK, if you say so. I see many replacement pads for various models of Technics headphones.

Reply to
Nil