CO death

Each year it seems I read where some idiot is trying to heat their home with their gas oven and dies from carbon monoxide.

This woman I know found her friend dead because she did that. Her furnace quit so she turned on the oven .

My question. Gas stoves don't usually have much CO generated...after all we can have the oven and burners on all day long and no one ever dies cooking.

Why do people die of CO if they heat their house with the stove?

Reply to
philo

A quick google search results in quite a few useful web sites.

Our local volunteer Fire Depts. teamed-up to have this video produced

- CO safety awareness - I think they did a real great job of it !

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Partly because the stove is on longer and if the oven door is open the flames may not burn correctly and produce more CO.

Along another item, several local people in a house was taken to the hospital due to running a generator in the house. The electricity had been turned off by the power company. I can see some not thinking about the stove as it is already in the house, but not the generator.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Cant quote but what about cooking a turkey or running the clean cycle for hours?

Reply to
Thomas

Thanks folks, yes...if the oven is used for heating I suppose they had the door open and it ran continuously.

Tomorrow when my wife cooks the turkey even if it is on for 6 hours, the door would be closed and the duty cycle would probably not be more than 20%

Reply to
philo

Now you kniow why cooks are dizzy by the time they get to the dinner table!!! :)

Reply to
Paintedcow

and the temperature of the flame would be higher - and the combustion more complete. Complete combustion yields absolutely NO CO.

Reply to
clare