CO alarms.

Page 1 of 2
They say to replace your CO alarms every 5 or 10 years. Why? If they still test OK, why replace them? Bill B.
Subject: CO alarms. Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Bill Browning <= wrote:

How do you know they test ok? Just because the little buzzer makes noise when you press the button doesn't count.
--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

Test them with a cigarette
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Subject: Re: CO alarms. Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Nick Hull <= wrote:

No. That is not an approved testing method.
--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

Not approved but ti sure checks to see if the unit is responding.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Not an accurate test et all. Just "responding" aint gonna cut it.
--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email
G. Morgan wrote:

From my Nighthawk manual, page 1-6:
"While it is not required, on occasion you may wish to observe and become familiar with your alarm's response in the actual presence of carbon monoxide or Gas. The best and safest way to do this is with either a cigarette or an incense stick."
--

In Memoriam: Julius the cat April 1, 1993 - February 3, 2005
Never forgotten: Chane, Tigger, Koshka, Serenity, Rocky
Bill Browning wrote:

grease etc...
ChrisGW
What if the tester is not permanently mounted? That is, what if the tester is brought out only occasionally, from my work-bench drawer? I know batteries have a shelf life, even if they aren't being used. Are CO alarms similarly limited?

You are testing the battery circuit.

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+ http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn /
I'm not proposing continual surveillance for CO. I'd only pull my CO tester out of the workshop drawer occasionally, take it to some heater I'm interested in, and test the exhaust gasses, room air, etc.

Greetings,
If the company that makes the alarm tells you to replace it after five or ten years they only have to charge you for that many years of liability in the purchase price.
Hope this helps, William

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 05:25:23 GMT, "Bill Browning"

imho:
I was told in my nfpa based training every 10, since a decade passing brings new 'features' in the new products, and circuitry isn't tested to last beyond a decade of use.
Might be a UL issue.
hth,
tom @ www.URLBee.com
snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

That sounds almost like an old safety NCO that said a knot in an electrical cord was bad because the electrons had to speed around the corners and that made the wire hot.
Apparently your instructors fall into the same category. I would be very leery of any of their personal descriptions of how things work.
Some sensors have a limited lifetime. But many old smoke detectors are based on a light sensor and there is no reason that the circuit wouldn't last for decades. My original smoke detector still works after nearly 30 years. I've got another 10 year old smoke detector (ionization type) which is still so sensitive it goes off every time somebody make toast.
Subject: Re: CO alarms. Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => George E. Cawthon <= wrote:

The bottom line is, the NFPA recommends replacing any smoke detector every ten years. Unless you have the equipment to test the sensitivity of the unit, you can NOT be sure it is functioning correctly. In fact, for commercial applications - they MUST be tested for sensitivity range every year, or be replaced.
All you cheap bastards:
Replace your smokes if they are over 10 years old.
--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:35:57 -0600, G. Morgan

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:35:57 -0600, G. Morgan

Good point, I didn't go looking for the nfpa stance, but if you are right, this could be ground for insurance companies failing to pay benifits.
:(
later,
tom @ www.MedicalJobList.com
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 05:06:39 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

For like 10 bucks, is it worth it? I mean if the smoke detector meant to be replaced after 10 years(why now some come with 10 year batteries so you just toss when the battery dies), you might be gambling with lives.
Just say 10 bucks is cheap.

later,
tom @ www.ChopURL.com
snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

the unit. Not in the instruction manual. It is an ac wired unit intended for long term use. Give it a test like the instruction say and if it passes it is ok. Blindly following some arbitrary rule for replacing the unit is not only stupid but wasteful of resources. Test the damn thing.