Clutch removal on Ryan string trimmer

Hi

I have a older Ryan Model 263 string trimmer that needs some work. I was able to get the parts I need, but am stumped as to the dis-assembly of the clutch, which is a pre-requisite to getting in further..

I have the shaft and handle/throttle mechanism removed, and the recoil starter loose. But the clutch is in the way to getting the recoil off. I have a exploded parts diagram to work from - it shows what looks to be slotted screw inside the shaft of the clutch.

I've put a screw driver in there, and can feel it engage something slotted, but turning one way engages some sort of rachet mechanism in the recoil starter, turn the other way and the whole clutch spins, even if I try to hold it.

In the owners manual, there are no instructions as to how to work on the recoil starter - for that you are supposed to take it to a dealer, and Ryan dealers are pretty scarce.

I've shot WD-40 in to the shaft opening, in hopes it might loosen things up - so far - no go.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim Laumann

I'm betting that screw is left hand thread; to prevent unscrewing the clutch when starting.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

snippage....

Andy

Thanks for the reply - thought I would follow up w/ the "fix".

The threads were not left handed - they were right handed. I paid a retired mechanic who now does small engines for pocket money for the solution (a whopping $5).

What he had to do was remove the muffler, then insert a stick thru the exhaust port to lock up the piston and crank shaft. Then use a screw driver to loosen screw, and he said it was plenty tight - it "snapped" (sound) when it came free. Its not a big screw either - maybe a

10/32's by a inch - tops. Its captured inside the clutch drum, so we can't see all of it.

Then to get the clutch rotor (weight assembly off), once again, right hand threads, he tryed a pin punch and hammer, but wasn't getting anywhere, so he removed the weights from the rotor, and put a wrench on it, then it came free as well. Once the rotor was free, he had to reattach the weights.

We won't do it this time, but if there is a next time, and assuming the parts are still available, we will put a clutch in it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Laumann

Thanks for the follow up. Most times, folks are never heard from again and you don't know if you helped or not. In this case, you may have helped others.

Reply to
Andy Asberry