CLUNKA-CLUNK-clunk-CLUNK

Water in Arizona is alkaline, with a high dissolved miineral content.

The minerals settle out, and form a cement-like coat.

As new residents, we're just getting used to the clunk-clunk-clunk of the water heater.

Flushing won't touch the mineral coat that builds up.

Just live with it ??

Will it shorten the life of the ( gas ) water heater ?

What to do ?? what to do ?

Reply to
Anonymous

Some brands of water heater have "handholes", where you can drain the water heater, open the handhole, reach in and clean out the sediment, and close the handhole. I can't remember seeing a residential gas water heater with them.

Reply to
Bob

tanks do that boiling sound here too. I used to drain them but quit after having a drain valve not close.

it didnt matter the hard water deposits dont come out with draining. i was told the noise doesnt effect tank life and believe it.

my best friends 6 year guarantee tank has been noisey since year 2, and its now 13 years old. its well past time to fail

Reply to
hallerb

If you get too much build up on the bottom and not enough water, the heat from the burner can crack the metal.

Reply to
Bob

Ask your neighbors. It's a good way to get to know them.

Ask tactfully so they won't feel like dummies if they never even thought about it. Won't make friends if you make them feel like dummies.

Even after you get good answers, ask the other neighbors other questions. People should get to knwo their neighbors.

mm

do you soften your water?

wrote:

Reply to
philkryder

When we moved into our new place, the heater did that. Also made boiling noises as it heated. I replaced it without question and haven't given a second thought to it.

Reply to
clifto

The solution is a water softener upstream of the hot water tank. Water softener changes the chemical composition of the minerals, making the water much less alkaline and trapping the minerals themselves on the resin in the softener.

Reply to
Robert Gammon