Clothing dryer repair?

My clothing dryer suddenly quit blowing hot air. It generates cold air only. At the same time, the automatic cut off quit working as well. It will tumble for hours unless you open the door to stop it. It is a Whirlpool heavy duty model that is about 8 years old. Is it something a novice can repair or do I need to call someone? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Michele

Reply to
Jamie Decker

A novice can repair it if someone who knows tells her what to do. This is not going to happen at an appliance parts counter. These people are the most defensive class I have ever run into, and as a rule I know what I am doing. Still, they could be helpful and aren't.

It sounds as if there could be problem with the control, since a control-related failure (no shutoff) occurred with a functional failure (no heat). You may need a new control, but this is not a certainty; the automatic shutoff could require that the clothes be dry before shutting off, which will generally not happen if there is no heat. You may need a new heating element, or possibly the safety switch on the heating element broke--this is the only failure I have had with my 1972 Kenmore dryer.

Even with advice, you are going to have to do some diagnosis if you want to fix it yourself. If it were my dryer I would get at the heating element and see if it has voltage; if not, try to figure out from the minimal schematic on the back of the machine where to look for a failure, and generally screw around. I am a novice in some ways, but fearless and I have a lot of tools.

I think maybe you are looking at calling a repairman, and comparing his charges with a bargain dryer at Best Buy or whatever.

Reply to
donald girod

Gas or electric, it would be helpful to know.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It is electric. Thanks!

Michele

Reply to
Jamie Decker

Next question, what do you mean "the automatic cut off quit working as well.?" Does the timed dry shut off?

The most likely issues include, a bad over temp sensor, a bad connection to the heater element, or a bad heater element. You also should check your circuit breaker box as it is possible that one half of the dual breaker serving your dryer may have popped. It should be set up so they both go, but if someone did not wire it properly then it is possible for only one side to go. If this is true and resetting it will get it working, but it still needs to be corrected at the breaker box make sure that is done.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The timed dry doesn't cut off when set either. It won't cut off unless you open the door. Thank you for your help.

Michele

Reply to
Jamie Decker

Hi,

The "auto" dry cycles will not move/advance without the heat working.

Gas or electric dryer??

A copy from the FAQ sections...

Q - My electric dryer runs but will not heat, what could stop my dryer from heating ?

A - Things that could stop a electric dryer from heating:

- house fuse or breaker... - heating element ... - burnt wire ... - thermostats ... thermal fuse ( not all models )... - motor heat switch ... - timer ... - selector switch ... - burnt power cord/plug ...

Q - My gas dryer will not heat, what could stop my dryer from heating ?

A - Things that could stop a gas dryer from heating:

- glow bar igniter ... - coil on the gas valve ... - gas valve ... - thermostats ... - motor heat switch ... - timer ... - selector switch ... - sensor ... - thermal fuse ...

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Just to be technical, it won't "generate" cold air, just blow regular room air through the clothes. JFYI

You can read about most common causes of no heat on an electric dryer at the following link:

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to