Clothes washer problem

My GE Profile washing machine occasionally floods the floor with about 2-3 gallons of water then goes on with the cycle . the repair person looked at it but of course it wouldn't perform this feat for him. I watched it several times with the front cover off and the lid interlock defeated and observed it occasionally spin at the beginning of the first agitation cycle. That drove the water up and out the overflow pipe. The problem is that I can't find a way to reliably repeat the glitch. Anyone have any idea what could cause this?

Reply to
Blue

Hi, Can you see water leaking through the solenoid valve? Try with water supply shut off after tub is filled. Maybe you have intermittent water valve(cold or hot) Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi,

Model#?

model# helps.

If this is the style of washer that I think it is the brake in the transmission may not be holding the basket still and the washer starts to spin while agitating and the force of the spin pushes the water outward and some goes down the over flow tube = new tranny time.

little on this.

new style washer transmission.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

I had same machine, same problem, and yes, it is the brake. Local shop said that there was an inherent problem with this tranny and if I replaced it, it would probably fail again. I offered to give them the machine for free but they did not even want to deal with it. I had owned it 7 months and ended up putting on the curb for free. It was gone in 5 minutes! Later that week I saw it sitting on the curb at a neighbors house with a "Free" sign on it.......

Reply to
Doug McGinnis

G'day,

It was a fairly common trouble maker :(

The new trannys have had no problems with the brake, it has been improved a lot!!

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Thanks for this view of the problem and the probably curb "fix".

In looking at the timer diagram there is a spin wire but not a brake wire. I surmise that both the spin coupling and the brake are operated as one unit (spin on - brake off) and when the wire goes cold they are returned to normal(spin off - brake on) by maybe a spring, and maybe that spring is not stroong enough.

The brake seems to work when it works but once I observed the basket slowly reducing speed when the spin cycle ended - usually the brake brought it to a stop quickly. That last thing in the cycle could be the culprit the next time the machine is started up from the beginningused, i.e., the spin is still on and possibly locking because it is stuck.

I don't want to get down in the bowels of this thing without some kind of a plan and a hope of a fix.

Reply to
Blue

The transmission brake is mechanical not electrical and gets engaged depending on which way the motor is turning the transmission.

You might want to invest in a repair manual. You can get one for that design of washer at the following link:

The cheapest place I've seen a replacement transmission available is at the following link:

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to