Clothes washer problem

My GE Profile washing machine occasionally floods the floor with about 2-3 gallons of water then goes on with the cycle . the repair person looked at it but of course it wouldn't perform this feat for him. I watched it several times with the front cover off and the lid interlock defeated and observed it occasionally spin at the beginning of the first agitation cycle. That drove the water up and out the overflow pipe. The problem is that I can't find a way to reliably repeat the glitch. Anyone have any idea what could cause this?
Blue wrote:

Can you see water leaking through the solenoid valve? Try with water supply shut off after tub is filled. Maybe you have intermittent water valve(cold or hot) Tony

Hi,
Model#? http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

If this is the style of washer that I think it is the brake in the transmission may not be holding the basket still and the washer starts to spin while agitating and the force of the spin pushes the water outward and some goes down the over flow tube = new tranny time.
http://www.applianceaid.com/genew.html#common A little on this.
http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?a-1appliance+tSwkBf+newstylgetra.html GE new style washer transmission.
I had same machine, same problem, and yes, it is the brake. Local shop said that there was an inherent problem with this tranny and if I replaced it, it would probably fail again. I offered to give them the machine for free but they did not even want to deal with it. I had owned it 7 months and ended up putting on the curb for free. It was gone in 5 minutes! Later that week I saw it sitting on the curb at a neighbors house with a "Free" sign on it.......

G'day,
It was a fairly common trouble maker :(

The new trannys have had no problems with the brake, it has been improved a lot!!
jeff.

The transmission brake is mechanical not electrical and gets engaged depending on which way the motor is turning the transmission.

You might want to invest in a repair manual. You can get one for that design of washer at the following link:
http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc $44
The cheapest place I've seen a replacement transmission available is at the following link:
http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?a1=newstylgetra.html
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+GE+washer
=~~~~~~