Clothes Washer Failure -- Any Suggestions?

Our 15 year old Maytag washer just failed. It was near the end of a spin cycle and I think I heard the out of balance noise, then it quit and now it won't do anything.
We've had the out of balance shutdown a few times over the years but it always restarted by just turning it off and then back on. Now when we turn it one it makes no sound -- it does nothing.
And suggestions on what to look at first?
Oh yes, how do I get the cabinet open? I don't see any screws or buttons or anything to press, pull, twist or unscrew.
jim
Okay, I've figured out how to get the cabinet open and found a circuit diagram inside. I've found there is no voltage to the first internal point in the circuit diagram.
The circuit diagram shows the wall plug and then goes straight to the door switch. There is power coming through the power cord, but it does not reach the door switch. Obviously there is something significant missing from the circuit diagram -- the part that has failed! It appears to be in a difficult to reach location. My guess is it's the out-of-balance switch since this switch is not shown on the circuit diagram.
jim
jim evans wrote:

Hi,
Model#??
Might have knocked the lid switch out of place or the lid switch plunger out of place.

No model# posted, but this may help.... http://www.applianceaid.com/maytagwash.html#apart http://www.applianceaid.com/maytagwash.html
On 2 Jun 2005 14:36:29 -0700, "Appliance Repair Aid"

Thanks for the reply. When I awoke with a clearer head this morning I realized I'd misread the diagram. Amazingly it was sort of a double failure. Along with the out-of-balance shutdown, the secondary door switch failed. Apparently this in turned caused a fuse to blow.
Replaced secondary door switch and fuse. Working again.
Why are there two door switches????
jim
jim evans wrote:

Hi,
A safety....if the main switch "sticks" or "tacks" closed the second one will blow the fuse and disable the washer.

Wash baskets move around too much and hit a metal bracket under the lid switch and this trips the lid switch to shut the machine down. This only would happen if a load got out of balanced/most of the weight to one side of the wash tub.
On 3 Jun 2005 15:09:07 -0700, "Appliance Repair Aid"

Thanks very much for your reply. When you say "This would only happen if . . ." suggest it is rare. Our machine has tripped the out-of-balance device about once a month for the 15 years we've had the machine. This isn's a false tripping. The clothes are bunched up on one side causing the tub to wobble.
jim
On 2 Jun 2005 14:36:29 -0700, "Appliance Repair Aid"

A7300
What does the out-of-balance detection? How is it done? I haven't found a detector on the circuit diagram.
jim ___ Posted & Mailed