Clothes washer connections

The clothes washer at my home has it's water and drain connections made in one of those small plastic cutouts set into the wall (as opposed to a utility sink). The cutout is located on the right side of the laundry room, meaning that the washer has to be located to the right of the dryer to connect properly.
I don't recall seeing this arrangement before, normally I always see the washer on the left side. Is there such a thing as a 'preferred' side?
I'm considering getting a front-loading washer, but most seem to be designed to be on the left side. Is it practical to have the connections moved? I imagine it would require tearing up the entire wall. Drain line is accessable in the crawl space below, but the water pipes are not.
snipped-for-privacy@cowpie.acm.vt.edu wrote:

My front loading washer is to the right of my dryer. I do a lot of laundry but don't find the door setup to be a problem. You certainly could have the lines moved but I'd try living with it before I went to that much trouble.
On 22 Oct 2003 01:00:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comremove (CAStinneford) wrote:

Most modern-day dryers come with reversible door hinges; or open downward.
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
Epawtows wrote:

Hi,
No preferred side for the washer. Some ( not all ) of the front load washers can have the door swing reversed to open either way so it doesn't matter which side of the dryer the washer sits. Longer hoses could put the washer in either spot as someone else noted....longer hoses are probably cheaper thna moving the plumbing!
jeff.

My setup sounds a lot like yours. I have a Maytag Neptune washer, and it was pretty simple to switch which side the door hinges on.
Epawtows wrote:

The doors on the Neptune W/D can be hinged from either the left or the right.
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington