Clothes dryer: Where do you prefer the lint filter?

Had a friend tell me that clothes dryer's with the lint filter built into the top pf the unit rather than down by the door are much more problematic.
Any truth to that?
I've had both. Keep them clean and I think they are equally good or bad. The ones on the door might be easier to remember to clean if you see them each time you open the door, where as the ones on the top might get covered with junk and more easily forgotten.

On 29 Oct, 18:24, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I've always had dryers with the lint trap on top. The only problem that I know of is that when the clothes get piled up on the top, the kids (and sometimes the wife) don't bother moving them to clean the trap.
If it was in the door, I'm sure it would be cleaned every time.
Our Whirlpool gas dryer has a top lint filter. We bought the dryer in 1974, raised three kids, and it is still working fine. Replaced the belt twice and the igniter once. Nice when stuff lasts longer than expected.

My grandmother replaced a dryer in 1995. It was one (Maytag) my mother bought in 1960 because of my diapers. It could have been fixed in 1995 if parts were still available. It has a lint filter in the door.

Mark Lloyd

OK..maybe this is what my friend was referring to
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:24:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I've been using the top-access kind for 20 years--no problem at all. Quick and easy to clean.
On Oct 29, 5:24 pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

The door filters are better IMHO. They get cleaned each load and they are farther away from the gas flame.
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:24:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Probably more important than top or door is whether the air is drawn through the filter or blown through it. The latter "leak" lint all under the dryer. Sorry, I don't recall which brands are which.
--Andy Asberry-- ------Texas-----
Andy Asberry wrote:

I have a top filter and a few years ago I decided it would be smart (safety-wise) for me to pull out my dryer, pull the back off and clean out the lint I thought would be all over the place. To my surprise there was very little. A few cobwebs but nil on the lint.

I have one dryer of each design, the front door type is easier to keep clean.