Clothes dryer: repair or replace?

Page 3 of 3
On 4/24/2014 9:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'd bet that 99.5% of the people that own dryers never clean them inside. My present one is probably due for a cleaning and I'm not sure what to even take apart yet. I'm a stickler for cleaning the lint filter, the intake, not so much.

My lint filter slides in from the top of the unit. To open the top of the dryer, I pull the lint filter out and remove the 2 screws that hold the lint filter duct to the top of the dryer. Once those screws are removed the top can be opened for full access to upper portion of the inside of the dryer.
I also remove the back, which gives me access to the rest of the inside, including the screws that hold the lint filter duct over the blower housing. Once those screws are removed, the entire inside of the dryer can be cleaned.
Do you use dryer sheets? If so, you should wash your lint filter with warm soapy water every few months. Dryer sheets cause a waxy substance to build up on the lint filter which inhibits air flow. Try to run some water through your lint filter. If it holds water, it's clogged and should be washed.
On 4/25/2014 2:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

No dryer sheets allowed for the reason you mention. Fabric softener can build up in the dispenser too. Our new high efficiency washer has a clean cycle and you put a cleaner tablet in with it.
alt.home.repair:

I've opened and cleaned it up twice before that I can recall. Once was when I replaced the broken drum belt, and I vacuumed it all out at that time. I opened it up and vacuumed it out one other time, but that was quite some years ago. Neither time, though, did I pay attention to that fan, so anything on it has probably been accumulating since the beginning.

I've been doing the vent pipes every year or two. Now that I have that rotating brush kit, I'll do it more often. I've just been avoiding opening up the machine. It's mainly laziness and procrastination - I know it's not that hard to do.

The seals on this one are a sort of felt-like material rather than foam. They're a little ratty looking, but still intact, I think. I should if those parts are still available and how much they cost.

It was like hard paper mache. It was long past the point of just blowing off with normal use, it had to be physically scraped off, a tedious job, but obviously one that I should do periodically.

You don't have to use an OEM seal. Mine was felt also but I had some dense foam lying around so I cut my own strips and glued them in place.
I've checked it a few times to make sure nothing was melting or showing signs of getting too hot and it all looks good.