Clothes Dryer Repair or Replace

Hey All, Have a 15 y/o Whirlpool Gas Dryer that's producing no heat at all. Not a venting or lint problem. It's been a great dryer with no problems at all although I noticed about a year ago it was taking longer to dry clothes. Based on the fact that it produces no heat should I repair it or replace it? If I replace it is Whirlpool still a good brand to buy? What other manufactures make good clothes dryers? Thanks.

Reply to
CP

Could be something simple, like an igniter, could be more complex like a control or gas valve.

At 15 years it is near the end of its normal life, but my Maytag is 26 years with one minor repair. Crap shoot on the repair/replace until you know the cost. Under $100, repair, 100 to 200, questionable, over $200 I'd replace.

Go to

for some troubleshooting ideas.

Whirlpool is still one of the better brands. My local dealer recommends them, Amana, Maytag.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you call someone out it could run you at least $150.00. Double that and you could get a new dryer. Don't buy whirlpool,

Reply to
Meat Plow

Give me a reson(s) why I should not buy Whirlpool.

Reply to
CP

Thanks Edwin. Appreciate the post.

Reply to
CP

I don't care for them.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Unless you can diagnose and then fix it if it's cost effective, junk it. It's not worth the service call to find out what's wrong on a 15 year old unit. You can go to Consumer's Reports website for rating info on new ones.

Reply to
trader4

Well, you've got to pull it out to replace it. Why not check to see if the igniter/pilot light still works? Maybe the thermostat-dohicky.

Longer to dry MAY be a lint-clog in the exhaust vent and a new dryer may not help.

Reply to
HeyBub

Good enough. What other things don't you care for. I want to avoid them too.

Reply to
willshak

If you're a DIY'er you can probably fix it for less than $50 in materials. Otherwise the cost of parts and labor would come close to the price of a new dryer.

As for brands, one aspect of most Whirlpools is that both the intake and exhaust air paths are on the same side of the drum. Compare that with Maytag or GE where the exhaust is drawn from the front of the drum, which provides better air circulation and more efficient drying IMHO.

Reply to
Bob

Repairclinic.com

My whirlpool did the same thing, I had the same dilema, turned out to be a $20 gas valve. Easy fix.

Reply to
John

"HeyBub" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Boy those are versatile. I've seen them in motocycles and computers too.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I don't care for dicks like you who can't except an opinion.

Reply to
Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater

My washing machine is a whirlpool. I got it used, in 1994, and it's still running. I vote repair.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My dryer and washer are Kenmore made by Whirlpool both bought used in

1992. However Whirlpool does not deliver the same quality they once did.
Reply to
Meat Plow