Clothes Dryer Repair or Replace

Hey All, Have a 15 y/o Whirlpool Gas Dryer that's producing no heat at all. Not a venting or lint problem. It's been a great dryer with no problems at all although I noticed about a year ago it was taking longer to dry clothes. Based on the fact that it produces no heat should I repair it or replace it? If I replace it is Whirlpool still a good brand to buy? What other manufactures make good clothes dryers? Thanks.

Could be something simple, like an igniter, could be more complex like a control or gas valve.
At 15 years it is near the end of its normal life, but my Maytag is 26 years with one minor repair. Crap shoot on the repair/replace until you know the cost. Under $100, repair, 100 to 200, questionable, over $200 I'd replace.
Go to www.repairclinic.com for some troubleshooting ideas.
Whirlpool is still one of the better brands. My local dealer recommends them, Amana, Maytag.
Thanks Edwin. Appreciate the post.

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 16:33:34 +0000, CP wrote:

If you call someone out it could run you at least $150.00. Double that and you could get a new dryer. Don't buy whirlpool,
Give me a reson(s) why I should not buy Whirlpool.

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:06:02 +0000, CP wrote:

I don't care for them.

Unless you can diagnose and then fix it if it's cost effective, junk it. It's not worth the service call to find out what's wrong on a 15 year old unit. You can go to Consumer's Reports website for rating info on new ones.
on 9/9/2007 3:20 PM Meat Plow said the following:

Good enough. What other things don't you care for. I want to avoid them too.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 17:13:22 -0400, willshak wrote:

I don't care for dicks like you who can't except an opinion.
CP wrote:

Well, you've got to pull it out to replace it. Why not check to see if the igniter/pilot light still works? Maybe the thermostat-dohicky.
Longer to dry MAY be a lint-clog in the exhaust vent and a new dryer may not help.

Boy those are versatile. I've seen them in motocycles and computers too.
CP wrote:

If you're a DIY'er you can probably fix it for less than $50 in materials. Otherwise the cost of parts and labor would come close to the price of a new dryer.
As for brands, one aspect of most Whirlpools is that both the intake and exhaust air paths are on the same side of the drum. Compare that with Maytag or GE where the exhaust is drawn from the front of the drum, which provides better air circulation and more efficient drying IMHO.

Repairclinic.com
My whirlpool did the same thing, I had the same dilema, turned out to be a $20 gas valve. Easy fix.
--

John

My washing machine is a whirlpool. I got it used, in 1994, and it's still running. I vote repair.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 18:08:10 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My dryer and washer are Kenmore made by Whirlpool both bought used in 1992. However Whirlpool does not deliver the same quality they once did.