Clothes dryer maintenance

Hi all! I've had my dryer for about 3 years now, and I haven't done anything to it. I think it's about time I cleaned it up. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do to clean it up?

I'd just take it apart (at least so I can see the elements and motor and bearings) and make sure that the elements are clean, remove any fluff, ... Check that any wear blocks still have usable thickness (some sorts have the drum riding on blocks, rather than proper bearings), and generally clean inside it. Ensure any safety cutouts arn't clogged with fluff, and if it's a model with a heat exchanger that there are no blocked pipes/...
--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | mailto: snipped-for-privacy@i.am | Ian Stirling.
It's a 2000 model Kenmore dryer.
| IanStirling.

Hi,
Kenmore is made by several different companies...and even the most common manufacture ( Whirlpool ) has a few different styles. Some common take apart helps are below...
http://www.applianceaid.com/wpdryer_how-to.html http://www.applianceaid.com/whirlpool-dryers.html#four
Dryer venting and vent hood should be cleaned out every year and the dryer should be vacummed out ( around motor, dryer ducts, lint filter area, etc ) every 2-5 years depending on useage.
jeff.
The tops of washing machines and dryers are usually hinged in back and held down in the front by spring clips that engage when the top is lowered. Run a putty knife (or any other thin but stiff metal around the crack between the top and the front panel and you will run into the spring clip. There should be two clips, each about 3-4 inches from a corner. When you feel it, pull the knife out enough so you can move past the clip (about 1/2 inch in from the front surface). When you find it, move knife in front of the clip and then push, the top should spring up slightly at that corner. Sometimes it is a little hard to get the clip to release if you don't really know what you are doing, so just be patient.
You shouldn't need to do anything more than pivot the lid up, then vacuum whatever crud you see. If you ever need to remove the drum (may be needed to change the belt, repair the heating elements, etc) you will need to remove the front panel. It will probably be held on by 4 screws that you can reach from the top, in any case, you will be able to see what you have to do when you raise the lid.
clevere wrote:

Pop the lid and vacuum everything. Clean the outlet tube all the way to outside. Other than that anything else you do is mostly a waste of time. Just listen for odd noises. Dryers work for 20 years or so without problems other than a belt breaking or and element burning out.