closing gaps around slab drain

Gophers appear to be getting into our walls through the hole in the slab fo r the tub drain. Its less than two feet from the edge of the slab, and goph ers will burrow much farther than that. There's no access panel on the tub, so I'm going to have to cut one to investigate.

What would be a good material to close the gaps? It needs to be hard enough to stop the gophers. If I use concrete, is it going to cause problems late r if the tub is replaced?

Reply to
craft.brian

Coarse stainless steel wool scrubbing pads . Hard on their little teeth , harder on their digestion if they swallow it .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

How did you get gaps? Pipes - including drains - are placed before the slab is poured.

Reply to
dadiOH

Not clear what's going on here, is this a pipe coming out of a slab, that is the waster drain for some tub? I don't see why some cement or concrete patch, etc can't be put around it. Agree with you that normally those pipes are in place and then the slab is poured around them.

Reply to
trader_4

I was wondering the same thing. But either way, I'd just put concrete around it. I'd wrap several layers of tar paper around the pipe(s) before the concrete is applied. That way of the concrete heaves from freezing soil it wont break off pipes because the concrete can slide the tar paper rather than put force on the pipes. And if the pipes are metallic, concrete in direct contact can cause corrosion too.

Just wrap 3 or 4 layers of tar paper around the pipes, come ABOVE the finished concrete, duct tape around the tar paper to keep it in place.

I would not worry about future tub changes. Concrete can be broken if needed at a later date. You dont want gophers coming in, because next it will be rats, and they are a lot worse than gophers.

Reply to
Paintedcow