CLOSING a GREEN inground Pool

I purchased a home with an inground pool that is not clear... actually it is greenish, but I do not want t ogo with the trouble of clearing it up until nest spring. What at minumum should I do in preparation for a green pool to be closed to prevent damage ect? thanks

It has algae. If you don't deal with it now, you will have to deal with more of a headache in the spring. Put some superchlorinating powder into it. Some algaecide. Clean the filter. Run it. Clean the filter again. You may have to change the water, and wash the algae out with weak acid and spray. If you drain and refill, be sure to add stabilizer, or you will be throwing away money on chlorine.
Getting a pool into shape isn't a biggie. Maintaining a pool isn't a biggie. Redoing one once it is full of algae and crud IS a biggie that can cause you to have to have it acid washed, and perhaps more. Do it now and do it right. Or just use it for a frog pond come spring. Get the water right, and it will be fine for the winter. It will be easy to start up in the spring. Wait until spring, and you will have more work and cost.
Steve
I agree with the other poster. If you shock the hell out of it, brush the sides and bottom and run it until it is clear you will have a better spring. It shouldn't really take you more than an hour or so now.
Leave it alone and call the EPA and schedule a visit for "nest spring"!
Just kidding. The other posters are right when they suggest fixing it now, not later. Algae grows when left untreated...very bad thing to witness and more expensive & time consuming to correct. The proper procedure is to raise the available chorine level by "shocking" the pool with chemicals. How much depends on your pool size (# of gallons) and how far along the algae bloom has progressed. Algaecide will also be required. Expect this process to take 3- 7 days. It is also very important to maintain the proper PH at all times.
Although store personnel vary, the folks at the local pool store (in my case, Leslie's Pool Supply) are usually helpful.
Acid washing does NOT attack algae but may be required if the algae has been absorbed by the walls of the pool, assuming you have a gunnite pool. Vinyl pools don't have this absorbtion problem and therefore don't ever get acid washed.
I also don't recommend adding stabilizer. While it claims to improve the effectiveness of chlorine, it never leaves the water, either by evaporation or absorbtion. Over time it accumulates and eventually hinders the sanitizing process. The only solution then, is to replace the water.

I spent a lot of money on chlorine the first year of having a pool. Without stabilizer, the chlorine goes right out of the pool. I check my stabilizer level a few times a year, and change the water at the beginning of the season. Pretty cheap.
Just my experience.
Steve
SteveB writes:

Free chlorine does that.
To the extent you "stabilize" [sic] chlorine with cyanide compounds (probably what you are using), you just bind the chlorine so that it doesn't do any sanitizing. Yes, the chlorine stays in your water, and shows up on your test kit, but it is a false reading, because it isn't doing anything.
The only benefit is that the binding is reversible, and the bound chlorine constitutes a reserve that unbinds when you neglect the free chlorine. It's not magic that somehow improves the chlorine sanitizing power or longevity.
I do not have a pool but I just had a lot of success washing algae growth off of my fence with a pressure washer. It was quick & easy and took nothing but pressurized water--no detergent at all.

...and this has WHAT to do with cleaning a pool?

I might add to also use a floculant. ALgae is small enough to go thru a filter and by making it clump togehter you improve the odds that the filter will catch it. RUn the pump 24 hrs a day. AT the end of the first day if you don't see a change, shock it again. You need to burn off the chlorine load. I've never had to shock more than 3 days in a row. (caused by dust drifting over from a next door building site). IF you over winter a dirty pool it's a hummdinger to clean up next spring.