Closet Size

I was thinking about building a closet in basement that runs paralle the width of house about 24 feet long, for house item ex clothes, boxes of misc stuff, over flow item. My Question about how deep would most of you make it.

thanks a million if I had it

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I think the standard interior depth is two feet.

Reply to
HeyBub

2 feet minimum. I would increase the depth as needed to match my storage requirements.
Reply to
Pat

"Jim" wrote

Go 3 feet (deeper than normal) since space isnt a concern.

Reply to
cshenk

I would go with a standard 24" *inside* dimension or maybe stretch that to 27, 'just in case.' I've had a 3' deep closet. it sucks because too much stuff gets lost behind the front row.

Most of your closet organizers are based on a 24" closet. Spend some time in your local borgs looking at the 'organize your home' aisle.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Oh. five-and-a-half feet. Two feet either side, 18" for the walkway.

The Americans With Disabilities act may mandate a 36" walkway... Of course there is lighting to consider. And fire walls.

Reply to
HeyBub

I use a walkin closet as a dressing room as well. Often two people at once. I prefer a 3 foot walkway in closets. 5 foot depth for hanging on one side.

80 inches deep for hanging on both sides. 4 foot walkway in storage rooms. For storage 8 feet works well with cupboards on both sides. 6 feet for one side.
Reply to
Pat

Walk-in closets are standard in high-end houses. Nice selling point to have one in a typical home. Can't say there is a closet "too deep."

Reply to
Phisherman

will it obstruct any windows? basements do need a little natural light and egress ingress in case of fire..........

Reply to
hallerb