Closet Rod -- Need Support?

So, wife had her brother build her a closet in a room that had no closet while he was here last weekend.
I just finished my rookie paneling and sheetrock work. Now for a Clothes Rod that will span the length of the closet.
In my laundry room I had a six-foot clothes rod that is supported on each end by brackets hung onto the studs.
However, my bedroom closet, which has a five-foot span, has a center support for that clothes rod.
So, being "carpenter-challenged," what's the thought for this new install. I can install brackets on studs on each end of the new closet and the run will be about 6.75 feet.
Do I need a center support? Using an 1.25" dowel for the rod.
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Not if you use a length of iron pipe instead of wood.

Closet rods need support at least every four feet. Someone else recommended a pipe. That might work.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
SteveBell wrote:

yes, a black iron pipe would be the solution in this case. If you don't like that appearance and need to have hardwood, you definitely need a center support for anything much over 4 feet.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

houses, all the way from entry level to high-end custom. All he ever used for closet rods was galvanized thickwall water pipe. It didn't have printing or inch markers on it back then, or maybe the final trim guy would wipe those off with solvent or something. He also used real brackets, not the thin metal or plastic crap like the borg currently sells. Some of the bedroom closets had a support in the middle, but they were 8 feet long. Typical coat closet, no problem. I was in my late teens before I saw a wood closet rod. (and I think they were bigger than 1.25", besides)
When and if I get around to redoing the closets in this cookie cutter, pipe is what I will use. (Along with support cleats on 3 sides of the shelf, and shelf plywood thick enough to not sag in the middle, with a solid front edge added to stiffen it.)
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

I like hardwood and have used it in all my closets, but none are wider than about 39" or so.
One thing I find amusing is the complete unavailability of certain products that you'd think would be readily available, requiring one to improvise. I recall moving into an apartment once that had a wide window (I think it was actually three windows all next to each other) the decorating department wanted a big long curtain rod to cover the whole width. She couldn't find a single curtain rod made that long! We ended up using finials etc. from IKEA and using them on 1/2" copper water pipe. A little Krylon fixed it all up.
Personally I have little use for pretty much any pre-made clothes rods. All I ever use is hardwood dowel or pipe, with hardwood hangers so they can be lifted out for attic access or rearranging.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 12:30:55 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

It depends on the load and how much deflection you are willing to accept. For over 4 feet I'd put a center support, preferably one that clothes hangers can slide across.

Not if it is only shirts. Add a leather jacket, winter jacket, heavy slacks, and yes, you need a support.

Generally, if the rod bends down when loaded, it needs more support...
snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Assume the closet is full with 10 hanging things per foot. You've got, roughly, 60 things hanging. Assume half are one-pound shirts or skirts, and the rest are somewhat heavier, say five pounds (leather jackets, three-piece suits, etc.). So, you've got 180 pounds hanging on the pole.
I'd put in a center support (or use an iron pipe).