Closet Rod -- Need Support?

So, wife had her brother build her a closet in a room that had no closet while he was here last weekend.

I just finished my rookie paneling and sheetrock work. Now for a Clothes Rod that will span the length of the closet.

In my laundry room I had a six-foot clothes rod that is supported on each end by brackets hung onto the studs.

However, my bedroom closet, which has a five-foot span, has a center support for that clothes rod.

So, being "carpenter-challenged," what's the thought for this new install. I can install brackets on studs on each end of the new closet and the run will be about 6.75 feet.

Do I need a center support? Using an 1.25" dowel for the rod.

Reply to
timbirr

Not if you use a length of iron pipe instead of wood.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Closet rods need support at least every four feet. Someone else recommended a pipe. That might work.

Reply to
SteveBell

yes, a black iron pipe would be the solution in this case. If you don't like that appearance and need to have hardwood, you definitely need a center support for anything much over 4 feet.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It depends on the load and how much deflection you are willing to accept. For over 4 feet I'd put a center support, preferably one that clothes hangers can slide across.

Reply to
Phisherman

What they all said. When I was a kid, my father's company built custom houses, all the way from entry level to high-end custom. All he ever used for closet rods was galvanized thickwall water pipe. It didn't have printing or inch markers on it back then, or maybe the final trim guy would wipe those off with solvent or something. He also used real brackets, not the thin metal or plastic crap like the borg currently sells. Some of the bedroom closets had a support in the middle, but they were 8 feet long. Typical coat closet, no problem. I was in my late teens before I saw a wood closet rod. (and I think they were bigger than

1.25", besides)

When and if I get around to redoing the closets in this cookie cutter, pipe is what I will use. (Along with support cleats on 3 sides of the shelf, and shelf plywood thick enough to not sag in the middle, with a solid front edge added to stiffen it.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I like hardwood and have used it in all my closets, but none are wider than about 39" or so.

One thing I find amusing is the complete unavailability of certain products that you'd think would be readily available, requiring one to improvise. I recall moving into an apartment once that had a wide window (I think it was actually three windows all next to each other) the decorating department wanted a big long curtain rod to cover the whole width. She couldn't find a single curtain rod made that long! We ended up using finials etc. from IKEA and using them on 1/2" copper water pipe. A little Krylon fixed it all up.

Personally I have little use for pretty much any pre-made clothes rods. All I ever use is hardwood dowel or pipe, with hardwood hangers so they can be lifted out for attic access or rearranging.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Not if it is only shirts. Add a leather jacket, winter jacket, heavy slacks, and yes, you need a support.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Generally, if the rod bends down when loaded, it needs more support...

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Assume the closet is full with 10 hanging things per foot. You've got, roughly, 60 things hanging. Assume half are one-pound shirts or skirts, and the rest are somewhat heavier, say five pounds (leather jackets, three-piece suits, etc.). So, you've got 180 pounds hanging on the pole.

I'd put in a center support (or use an iron pipe).

Reply to
HeyBub

replying to Phisherman, Leo wrote: having a hard time visualizing a center support that a hanger could slide across; can you clarify?

Reply to
Leo

Dick

Yep, that the exact support that is used in a walk-in closet when I had a ClosetMaid system installed. It works perfectly, of course, for ease of sliding hangers back and forth.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann