Closet Lighting Dilemma

I am wiring up finish on a remodel and I noticed that the sub that put in the boxes in the closet put them about 4" in from the header. I understand that for a surface mounted fixture, flourescent needs to be a minimum of 6" in and incandescent needs to be 12" in. This is a small bedroom closet and my only guess is that the guy put them so close to the opening to not get in the way of shelving?? What type of fixture can I use. I put up a mushroom incandescent and realize it is way to close to the header to meet code? Is there a small flourescent fixture that has a canopy that would cover the J box?? HELP!!!

understand
6"
and
in
mushroom
Is
2002 Code does not allow uncovered incandescent at all. Distances you quote are accurate, but they are from "storage areas", not the header. If you have to relocate, I would use wiremold or something similar.