closed window - home is hot

Page 3 of 4

As someone else posted, you can get twin double hung windows that come together as one unit. But with the large size of your existing window opening, I wonder if putting in two double hung windows in that space would mean that each window would have to be unusually large -- maybe 3-plus feet wide each by 4 1/2 feet high. Maybe it would work though -- I just don't know.
...snip...

Yes, do a Google search for Twin Double Hung.

It is NOT the best place for double hung windows. Each window glass would be over 3 feet wide. That is pushing it. why not consider my reccomendation to put a 3ft (+/-) high picture window full width with awning windows either above or below, 3 foot wide awnings are do-able, and the center post between the 2 will not cost a lot of glass space. Or you could put in a 3 section top or bottom with 2 awnings and a fixed pane. It will look good. It will work well. It won't break the bank, and it will continue to work for a LONG time. On THAT house, I'd put the awnings on the bottom for best visual effect. Any other current or former Window Pros on the list???? You are getting my experience for free. I used to get paid for it.
On 07/10/2014 06:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But the awnings will work better if you put them above the windows.
On Friday, July 11, 2014 5:03:05 AM UTC-4, Buster Hymen wrote:

+1
Awnings on the bottom? What's up with that?
On 7/11/2014 6:10 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Sun scoop effect?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That depends cooler air entering at floor level can be very effective and provides better circulation if the air exit is through the roof through an uninsulated attic. But yes, theoretically the awning at the top enjoys a small advantage. Visually, the bottom awning wins hands down, both for exterior asthetics and for looking out the window from inside.
On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 07:47:23 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Idiots living in "redneck bungalows" - certainly not the man living in the whitehouse. These underinsulated houses have existed in the USA for over 200 years.
On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 07:48:36 -0400, Stormin Mormon

It has been a common "architectural feature" on homes and high end summer cottages for many decades. Why? Because IT WORKS. Look at Viceroy homes from the last 60 or more years.
On Friday, July 11, 2014 8:22:30 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have no idea what on earth you're talking about. Can you show us a picture of a window with an awning at the bottom?
In

That was my concern, which is why I mentioned it -- that each double hung window would be too wide. And, there is not enough width in the opening to fit 3 double hung windows. To solve that problem, I also thought that "maybe" a bay-style window could be put in with a picture window in the center and a double hung window on each end on an angle back toward the front of the house. I just don't know if the dimensions of the current opening would allow for that. Using your free experience, do you think that would be possible with that size opening?
My reason for thinking of double hung windows, if it is do-able, is that it would enable putting a window A/C unit in if needed. I assume that a window A/C unit could not be put in an awning style window or a slider window.
On Friday, July 11, 2014 9:15:27 AM UTC-4, TomR wrote:

sslider wqindows work well with casement type window ACs.
although whole house air works far better, allows windows to be opened, does not obstruct the view.
I had a Goodman high efficeny furnace with air intalled for under 4500 bucks, trane and everything else was twice the price.
I would of gone new furnace with air many years earlier if I had known how affordable it was.....

A "bay" window could be done with casements on each end, but it would look funny. Say you get 1 foot of glass on each casement. That's almost 20 inches of window, at best, on each end. That's also a pretty narrow casement for a 4 1/2 foot high window., and leaves you a close to square picture window in the middle. It also leaves you with a build-out on the wall that needs to be properly roofed, flashed, and insulated, and properly supported and insulated at the bottom. MUCH simpler to stay with a flush mointed window. Picture window across the top, awnings across the bottom, with a full brick-mold trim around the entire window assembly. I would go with a sashless direct fit picture window on the top to maximize the glass area, with the center supported by the mullions of the lower awning windows.

You won't get a big enough double hung into the bay window ends to hang a window AC into. Your house is small enouigh that a small Mini-split would do the job (after you super-insulate the attic). Insulating the attic will reduce the heat in the house significantly (and also cut your heating bill significantly - perhaps as much as 50% over an uninsulated attic)
Your simplest, most effective solution is the straight picture window with either awning or hopper windows across the bottom (or top - your choice) and it will also look the best on that house..
On Friday, July 11, 2014 1:18:27 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I previously suggested that you could do that with a flat casement window, no bay.
It also leaves you with a

I'm still waiting for a picture of a window with an awning at the bottom. Anyone else?

And MiniSplits are also affordable - and would work well in such a small house
In wrote:

Just to be sure we're all talking about the same thing...., I think he means AWNING WINDOWS across the bottom, not just AWNINGS across the bottom.
I know nothing about awning windows other than what I have read here so far. But, I just did a Google search for "awning windows at bottom" and I found these two links:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/look-bottom-situated-awning-wi-50919
http://youcandoit.typepad.com/you_can_do_it/2011/02/awning-windows-a-brief-discussion.html
And, then I did a Google IMAGES search for "awning windows" and found some images with awning windows at the bottom such as these two:
https://www.google.com/search?q=awning+window&es_sm &source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ejPBU_evL5asyATG34KABw&ved AgQ_AUoAQ&biw52&bihv9#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=QGUcgoVV7dw1bM%253A%3B2lVQNSvUPGec0M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.windowcraft.biz%252Fimages%252Fawning-windows.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.windowcraft.biz%252FVinyl_Windows.html%3B478%3B371
https://www.google.com/search?q=awning+window&es_sm &source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ejPBU_evL5asyATG34KABw&ved AgQ_AUoAQ&biw52&bihv9#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=GPYnixhLFEcycM%253A%3ByPxLbVJoy9UbLM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdwindows.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F09%252Fawning-Installation.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.cdwindows.com%252Fwindows%252F%3B1000%3B759
Hope this helps.
On Saturday, July 12, 2014 9:29:24 AM UTC-4, TomR wrote:

Finally, something that makes sense. That's probably what he's talking about. And maybe they are common in Canada, but I've never heard of an awning window before, and Clare just keeps saying "put the awnings at the bottom" and refused to clarify.

Yes it does. Thanks for deciphering Clare for us.
On 7/12/2014 9:57 AM, trader_4 wrote:

http://www.generalawnings.com/images/products/vista_window_awning_custom_colors_1.jpg
I'd not want these mounted at bottom.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Yes, I kept picturing "awnings" -- those green canvas things -- hanging on the outside at the bottom of the window. But, then I kept re-reading everything and, from the context, I realized that he was probably just using the term "awnings" as shorthand for the awning-style windows that he is suggesting would work well in that opening.

Thanks.
http://www.windowcraft.biz/images/awning-windows.jpg is EXACTLY what I am recommending.