closed window - home is hot

Page 2 of 4
In typed:

P.S. When I did the above Google search for 3 section slider windows, and then "Google Images", one of the images that came up was a "back door sliding windows demo". So, I thought that I would post it here in case it helps: http://tinyurl.com/back-door-sliding-windows-demo
Okay, this is just a joke, of course! But, I thought that it was funny when that came up in the windows search.
On Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:57:03 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:

lol i clicked first on that link but did not read the rest of the post.. i did not know it was joke, i kept trying that link :)

Glad you thought it was funny too. When I found it, I kept clicking on it thinking at first that it was some sort of ad video before the actual link, but then I figured out that "back door sliding windows" was some kind of dance term and not always just a type of window.
Leeza,
With the cost of labor and the cost of a new window(s), I wonder if you wou ld be better off just buying a thru-the-wall air conditioner and putting it somewhere in the room where it could blow a maximum amount of air to circu late.
Also, turning on the pilot light and the blower will not cause heated air t o circulate unless the thermostat is calling for heat. The thermostat only causes the main flame to turn on. There is a little heat from the pilot l ight, but not enough to make a difference, the flame is just about the size of the flame from a wooden match.

I don't think he meant jealousies windows. I think he meant what he said: Awning Window.
On 7/3/2014 1:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes, they are two or three sections and open out with a crank, much like a jalousie. You can get storm panels for them too. Had one in my kitchen of the last house. Opens fully, now half like a double hung so you doubled the ventilation area.
...snip...

... Snip ...
I guess "large" is all relative. The RO for my living room window is just under 8’ wide by 4.75' high. There's a picture window with a 20" wide double hung on each side. I like the fact that most of the space is taken by the large picture window because the view from my living is quite nice...woods, not houses.
Leza could certainly have her RO framed in the same manner to allow for a "large" center picture window with properly sized double hungs or casements on either side. Since it's easy to order custom sized windows these days, all you need to do is figure out the right proportions.
Slightly OT - I replaced my single pane windows with VRW a few years ago. To remove the picture window, I first went outside and removed all the caulking between the sash frame and the exterior stops. I then went inside and removed the interior trim. At that point, the whole window almost fell in on me. When the house was built, all they did was stand the window in the opening, position the interior stops tight enough to hold the window against the exterior stops and then caulked the exterior. The window was not nailed or screwed to the RO at all. It's a good thing I did the exterior first. Had I removed the interior stops then started removing the caulk, I may very well have pushed the picture window right into the living room.

Whenever I've seen or read about a jalousie window, it is always made up of a number of narrow frameless slates, usually about 4" wide like these:
http://www.tafcocorp.com/images/4inchjalousie.pdf
Growing up, had a storm door like that and my grandmother had a porch surrounded by jalousie windows.
Every awning window I've seen has always been a single framed sash controlled by a crank. In fact, the same grandmother's house that had the jealousies on the porch had an awning window above the kitchen sink.
I don't recall ever seeing an awning window with multiple panes controlled by one crank. I tried a Google image search, but it appears that whenever there are awning windows stacked vertically, they are each controlled by their own crank or lever.
On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 21:43:46 -0700 (PDT), leza wang

Not at all. It is like a "door" with the hinges at the top - like a casement window mounted sideways.. I'll see if I can find a picture --- look at http://www.bayviewwindowsdoors.biz/gallery/ and in the "fixed awning windows" section and "bay windows" section.
Now, envision the windows at the top of the "fixed awning window" at the bottom, like in the "bay window" section, but with a single fixed glass aross the top instead of separate windows. Any good window installer can do it. Or keep the awning windows at the top like the "fixed awning window" but have 2 flip outs but only a single glass for the remaining window. Either would look good, would ventilate well, and be much better than splitting the window into 3 horizontally.
Another option is 2 double hung windows side by side - but it doen't look anywhere near as good. Done right, the 2 awning windows and large pane will REALLY dress up the front of that house.
On Thu, 3 Jul 2014 08:11:37 -0400, "David Martel"

Definitely NOT Jalousies - they are useless ANYWHERE.
On Thu, 3 Jul 2014 06:55:50 -0700 (PDT), leza wang

If you are in the Toronto area, find an installer who sells and installs EuroVinyl or Fenergic windows. Euro Vinyl is made in Toronto. Fenergic come from Quebec. I have EuroVinyl in my house in Waterloo

Nope - go frame out with attached brick mold. The brick mold will go over the siding, finishing off the opening VERY nicely. A window narrower than 2 feet is a narrow window - and 2 windows in a 6'9" opening will make for 27 inch units, which means about 18 inches of glass each - 54 inches of glass in a 81 inch hole.
Going with my recommendation, you get one pane of roughly 6 feet wide and 3 feet high, and 2 smaller windows of about 30 inches wide glass by 10 inches high either above or below.. Really looks good, and works well too. And if it rains a bit, you can leave the window open without getting wet inside. The little windows are screaned to keep out bugs.
We installed a LOT of this type of window 15 years ago in south-central Ontario.

On Thu, 3 Jul 2014 09:58:50 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

With On tario Hydro rates?????

Not knowing what furnace she has, there is OFTEN a switch on the furnace to run fan "constant" or "automatic" And virtually all good recent thermostats have a fan switch on them.
Is that a padded bus bench across the street?! Wow!
Hi all
I have one big window (140 cm height, 210 cm width) in the first floor of 1.5 story home. This window can not be opened or closed (has no doors). These days are so hot to be inside the house because the air can not be circulated enough in the house because the main window is always closed (see pictures below of the windows from inside and out - sorry the inside picture is dark a bit). This window has wood frame from the inside
http://i59.tinypic.com/2gshpv5.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/30a72ba.jpg
So I decided to replace it with a new window which has doors to open it and get breeze inside. I like the new window to be simple and has 3 panels, two can be opened. Any idea please what kind of window you recommend (material, brand name, design etc) I am open to any suggestion. Thanks a lot once again.

good choice

said:

like

kitchen

up of

the

controlled

whenever

by

I have had places with jealousie windows. If you've ever been locked out of your house, you know that these are easy to break into, even when closed tight. After that, I super glued the glass to the metal. Still not burglar-proof, but I'm told that burglars are looking for easy access, this idea was that they would move on to another house. The only negative was you couldn't take them out to clean (or break into your own house easily), but to me that was OK versus being safe.
On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 17:44:25 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

They're fine for my garage windows, and were fine in my pick-up cap. Wouldn't want them anywhere else. Their advantage is you can open them for air circulation and even with horizonal rain you won't get water intrusion. Lube the mechanism every few years.
On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 22:13:39 -0500, Vic Smith

On the camper they let dust in like having no windows at all. And +1 on the lube. Nasty things, all round, as far as I'm concerned.

A real PITA to clean.
In wrote:

My original thought was also to see if there was a way to incorporate double hung windows in the window space that the OP has. But, with a window opening of 6.9 feet wide by 4.6 feet high, I couldn't see a good way to do that. I like your idea that works in your house with an 8 foot wide opening since that allows enough width to include a center picture window and a double hung window on each side.
I also thought about the possibility of creating a bowed-out bay-style window with a center picture window and a double hung window on an angle on each side. That seemed like more work than the OP wanted to do, and I am not sure if the dimensions would work anyway.
One reason that I like the idea of a double hung window is the ability to put a window A/C unit in if needed. However, I assume that the OP has other windows on the first floor that could be used for a window A/C since she said it is an open space floor plan.
On Friday, July 4, 2014 10:32:50 AM UTC-4, TomR wrote:

Thanks for for your reply, I appreciate it very much. Yes i agree the double hung window seems good choice, I just googled for the picture
http://windowreplacement.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/image001.jpg
this seems perfect and yes I can put on AC if I want in the future because the other small window above the kitchen sink is so small (2 sliding left and right)
But for double hung, do they come together? because I am thinking about the middle post between these 2 windows?
Thanks a lot once again