Clogged toilet question

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,
One of my toilets is a Kohler "flush and plunge" -- one of the their first attempts at low flow toilets. I hate the thing. (My other is also a new Kohler and it is the 8th wonder of the world: they got it right this time. Talk about a hard sell!)
The Flush and Plunge finally got a paper clog that will not plunge or auger. I want to have a plumber come in and clear the clog and replace the hated toilet all at the same time. Recession and all, this won't occur for a month or two.
Question: it takes about three days to drain its water. While I wait, do I add water back or just leave the thing.
-T
On 4/8/2012 13:46, Todd wrote:

Keep some water in it to prevent sewer gas from escaping.
I wonder if this would help? http://www.harborfreight.com/medium-drain-cleaning-bladder-99942.html
Yes, leave water in the trap. The trap is needed to keep sewer gasses where they belong.
Hi All,
One of my toilets is a Kohler "flush and plunge" -- one of the their first attempts at low flow toilets. I hate the thing. (My other is also a new Kohler and it is the 8th wonder of the world: they got it right this time. Talk about a hard sell!)
The Flush and Plunge finally got a paper clog that will not plunge or auger. I want to have a plumber come in and clear the clog and replace the hated toilet all at the same time. Recession and all, this won't occur for a month or two.
Question: it takes about three days to drain its water. While I wait, do I add water back or just leave the thing.
-T
On 04/08/2012 02:47 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

How does it work?
Well, I've never used one, myself. But here is what I understand. You screw a garden hose onto the brass end. Stuff the expanding bladder into the drain. Turn the water on. The other end of the thing has a spray orifice. The water builds up in the bladder, swells, and closes the drain. The water keeps spraying out front of the bladder, and washes (or pushes) the clog down the drain.
My guess is that works for the first few tries. Then, the bladder get smooth. What happens then, is the bladder slides out of the pipe, whips around like it has a life of its own, and sprays everything in the room.
On 04/08/2012 02:47 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

How does it work?
On Apr 8, 6:22pm, "Stormin Mormon"

I've used these for clearing kitchen pipes, where I can unhook the pipe from the sink. They work very well and I've never had one slip (40 psi or so makes for a pretty good seal).
I would be nervous about trying to use one on a toilet, in place. If the clog is actually in the pipe I could see blowing out the wax ring and making a real mess...
Helpful tip that I stole: Installing an inline valve on the end if one of these makes life much easier and safer.
On 04/08/2012 03:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And start looking for a new wife! :'(
Wow! How many wives can I have at the same time?
(I know, I know. Not what you meant.)
On 04/08/2012 03:22 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And start looking for a new wife! :'(
:

most men cant afford one let alone more:(
bob haller wrote:

it has beeb rumored that Osama Bin Laden was living with 3 wives in one compound, and never left the house for 5 years. It is now believed that he called the US Navy Seals himself.
I've got strains of Oliver, echoing through my mind. http://www.iamfan.com/~oliver_soundtrack/lyrics/reviewing_the_situation-193964.htm Better settle down, and get meself a wife.
:

most men cant afford one let alone more:(

Who did you marry? The Wicked Witch of the West? <g> (Why, if you melt when hit with a bucket of water, would the WWotW keep buckets of the stuff around her castle in the Wizard of Oz?)
My wife is mostly waterproof. Mostly.
-- Bobby G.

The ringtone on my cell phone for my wife is the Wicked Witch's Theme from WoO. ;-)

We really don't need to hear about your sex life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY4K0cyj7Fc

It attaches to a garden hose and uses water pressure to push clogs through.
-- Bobby G.
Here is a boring youtube, that doesn't answer your question.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY4K0cyj7Fc

Somewhat descriptive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBjArQUQPEQ

On 04/08/2012 02:47 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

How does it work?
Todd wrote:

If you live in a largish city, check Craigslist for a used toilet.
In my town, they go from free to about twenty-five dollars or so.
Replacing a toilet is not rocket surgery. It will cost maybe ten bucks in parts. There are several YouTube videos covering the process.
If you need any guidance, check back here as often as necessary.
Good luck.

...and the craig's list toilet killer will come after you!
Todd wrote:

Thinking on your problem, are you sure the whole situation is the fault of the toilet? Or do you have some blockage (roots, etc.) downstream.
If "whatever" can get past the toilet, it should make it down the pipes - the pipes are larger diameter than the toilet.
In other words, before you spend $300+ to have the toilet replaced, make sure your pipes are okay. The ultimate way to do this is to have a camera inspection.
It may turn out that the sewer pipe is broken or infested with roots. Admittedly, I can't see how that would not affect your other drains, but it could be the problem is not the toilet's fault.
On 04/09/2012 04:37 AM, HeyBub wrote:

The sink and the tub, which share the pipe with the toilet (toilet is in the middle of the two) run freely
Todd wrote:

Well, I'm stumped.
Please report back when you find the actual culprit.
As soon as you can.
I need my sleep.