Clogged toilet question

Hi All,

One of my toilets is a Kohler "flush and plunge" -- one of the their first attempts at low flow toilets. I hate the thing. (My other is also a new Kohler and it is the 8th wonder of the world: they got it right this time. Talk about a hard sell!)

The Flush and Plunge finally got a paper clog that will not plunge or auger. I want to have a plumber come in and clear the clog and replace the hated toilet all at the same time. Recession and all, this won't occur for a month or two.

Question: it takes about three days to drain its water. While I wait, do I add water back or just leave the thing.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Keep some water in it to prevent sewer gas from escaping.

Reply to
Bob

I wonder if this would help?

Yes, leave water in the trap. The trap is needed to keep sewer gasses where they belong.

.

One of my toilets is a Kohler "flush and plunge" -- one of the their first attempts at low flow toilets. I hate the thing. (My other is also a new Kohler and it is the 8th wonder of the world: they got it right this time. Talk about a hard sell!)

The Flush and Plunge finally got a paper clog that will not plunge or auger. I want to have a plumber come in and clear the clog and replace the hated toilet all at the same time. Recession and all, this won't occur for a month or two.

Question: it takes about three days to drain its water. While I wait, do I add water back or just leave the thing.

-T

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How does it work?

Reply to
Todd

Well, I've never used one, myself. But here is what I understand. You screw a garden hose onto the brass end. Stuff the expanding bladder into the drain. Turn the water on. The other end of the thing has a spray orifice. The water builds up in the bladder, swells, and closes the drain. The water keeps spraying out front of the bladder, and washes (or pushes) the clog down the drain.

My guess is that works for the first few tries. Then, the bladder get smooth. What happens then, is the bladder slides out of the pipe, whips around like it has a life of its own, and sprays everything in the room.

.

How does it work?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It attaches to a garden hose and uses water pressure to push clogs through.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Here is a boring youtube, that doesn't answer your question.

Somewhat descriptive.

.

How does it work?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've used these for clearing kitchen pipes, where I can unhook the pipe from the sink. They work very well and I've never had one slip (40 psi or so makes for a pretty good seal).

I would be nervous about trying to use one on a toilet, in place. If the clog is actually in the pipe I could see blowing out the wax ring and making a real mess...

Helpful tip that I stole: Installing an inline valve on the end if one of these makes life much easier and safer.

Reply to
Larry Fishel

And start looking for a new wife! :'(

Reply to
Todd

If you live in a largish city, check Craigslist for a used toilet.

In my town, they go from free to about twenty-five dollars or so.

Replacing a toilet is not rocket surgery. It will cost maybe ten bucks in parts. There are several YouTube videos covering the process.

If you need any guidance, check back here as often as necessary.

Good luck.

Reply to
HeyBub

Wow! How many wives can I have at the same time?

(I know, I know. Not what you meant.)

.

And start looking for a new wife! :'(

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Who did you marry? The Wicked Witch of the West? (Why, if you melt when hit with a bucket of water, would the WWotW keep buckets of the stuff around her castle in the Wizard of Oz?)

My wife is mostly waterproof. Mostly.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green
:

most men cant afford one let alone more:(

Reply to
bob haller

it has beeb rumored that Osama Bin Laden was living with 3 wives in one compound, and never left the house for 5 years. It is now believed that he called the US Navy Seals himself.

Reply to
ChairMan

"HeyBub" wrote in news:C8qdnc2t1MNi2h_SnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

...and the craig's list toilet killer will come after you!

Reply to
Earl

Thinking on your problem, are you sure the whole situation is the fault of the toilet? Or do you have some blockage (roots, etc.) downstream.

If "whatever" can get past the toilet, it should make it down the pipes - the pipes are larger diameter than the toilet.

In other words, before you spend $300+ to have the toilet replaced, make sure your pipes are okay. The ultimate way to do this is to have a camera inspection.

It may turn out that the sewer pipe is broken or infested with roots. Admittedly, I can't see how that would not affect your other drains, but it could be the problem is not the toilet's fault.

Reply to
HeyBub

I've got strains of Oliver, echoing through my mind.

settle down, and get meself a wife.

.

most men cant afford one let alone more:(

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The sink and the tub, which share the pipe with the toilet (toilet is in the middle of the two) run freely

Reply to
Todd

Well, I'm stumped.

Please report back when you find the actual culprit.

As soon as you can.

I need my sleep.

Reply to
HeyBub

It is the flush and plunge toilet from hell. I hate the thing.

Reply to
Todd