Clogged spray paint cans

Page 2 of 2
That's two votes for Krylon. Thanks for the field report.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yes, these were a couple years old. Bet that's it. I wonder, if I stored the cans upside down..... ???
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Dunno if this has already been mentioned in this thread (OK, I'm lazy and don't want to read the whole thing), but what I do is keep all my spray-can nozzles in a jar soaking in lacquer thinner. Pop one onto the spray can, use it, then return it to soak when done. I have no problems with clogs (at least with nozzles), though sometimes the damned *cans* clog.

For the future:
When finished spraying, even between coats, I turn can perfectly upside down and spray till there no sputzing at all. When done job for any period, do upside down thing. Then toss nozzle in thinner/gas. Let soak for a bit, take out, wipe and shake off, blow out nozzle in same direction as it sprays.
Occasionally one still clogs here and there. I save the extra nozzles that work and store in cap.
If using more than one can on a job, as long as it's still working fine, I put nozzle from can one one the next can and use. Store new one for when needed. Of course, when brands of spray are different, may not be able to swap nozzles.
replying to Stormin Mormon, Blueonblue wrote:

Got a brand new can, same thing happened to me, shook like crazy, it sprayed for a few seconds then stopped. I let can sit for an hour, shook again and then tried spraying with the can upside down. You need to wear a pair of gloves for sure, but it worked, I'm happy
On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 20:44:01 +0000, Blueonblue

I don't know the root cause, but age is the culprit. If it happened to a new can there may be another reason for that particular can. On the other hand that can could have been manufactured before Obama was sworn in. If that's the case then we all know who's fault it is. ;-)
replying to Stormin Mormon, blueonblue wrote:

OK, I don't know what they did with my previous post, anyway, I had the same problem, I turned the can upside down, and it started to spray, you need to be sure to wear a pair of plastic gloves for this. This morning, one day later, I tried the can, right side up and it sprayed perfectly. Guess this might just be the solutions
On Thursday, March 27, 2008 at 6:07:58 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I soak the nozzle in paint thinner.
Usually gets it unclogged.
Andy
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 18 Aug 2015 13:20:17 -0700 (PDT), Andy

When you're done for the day, hold the can upside down from the normal way it is used and spray until no solids come out.

I save nozzles, any that still work from any can I'm done with.
There are two kinds, with stems and without.
On 8/18/2015 4:20 PM, Andy wrote:

Oh, that's a great idea. Wonder if I still have that can? Only seven years ago. Hmm. Thinking.
--
.
Christopher A. Young