Clogged spray paint cans

I used the can opener blade of my Leatherman. The awl and couple rags would have been much better.

At this point, I'm not courageous enough to try it any time soon. Dump the can, and be done with it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's two votes for Krylon. Thanks for the field report.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You might have to do this more than once, because from your description of getting a half second of spray it sounds like there's some thickened and sludgy paint in the tube which extends down from the valve to the bottom of the can.

That stuff won't make it through the pinhole in the nozzle and causes the blockage you experienced.

Absatively correct. I've been doing that for years and I can't remember the last time I had a nozzle clog. Even so, I anally remove the spray nozzles from empty cans and keep them in a plastic can cap in my "paint locker" against the day I might need one of 30 or more that are there now.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:47ec2c1f$0$6163$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

For the future:

When finished spraying, even between coats, I turn can perfectly upside down and spray till there no sputzing at all. When done job for any period, do upside down thing. Then toss nozzle in thinner/gas. Let soak for a bit, take out, wipe and shake off, blow out nozzle in same direction as it sprays.

Occasionally one still clogs here and there. I save the extra nozzles that work and store in cap.

If using more than one can on a job, as long as it's still working fine, I put nozzle from can one one the next can and use. Store new one for when needed. Of course, when brands of spray are different, may not be able to swap nozzles.

Reply to
Red Green

Got a brand new can, same thing happened to me, shook like crazy, it sprayed for a few seconds then stopped. I let can sit for an hour, shook again and then tried spraying with the can upside down. You need to wear a pair of gloves for sure, but it worked, I'm happy

Reply to
Blueonblue

OK, I don't know what they did with my previous post, anyway, I had the same problem, I turned the can upside down, and it started to spray, you need to be sure to wear a pair of plastic gloves for this. This morning, one day later, I tried the can, right side up and it sprayed perfectly. Guess this might just be the solutions

Reply to
blueonblue

I soak the nozzle in paint thinner.

Usually gets it unclogged.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

When you're done for the day, hold the can upside down from the normal way it is used and spray until no solids come out.

I save nozzles, any that still work from any can I'm done with.

There are two kinds, with stems and without.

Reply to
micky

Oh, that's a great idea. Wonder if I still have that can? Only seven years ago. Hmm. Thinking.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't know the root cause, but age is the culprit. If it happened to a new can there may be another reason for that particular can. On the other hand that can could have been manufactured before Obama was sworn in. If that's the case then we all know who's fault it is. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

replying to Jeff Wisnia, Kristin Hansen wrote: DON'T throw your paint away! I was having the same problem with 3 cans of Rustoleum, but I tried tipping the can completely upside down and spraying that way. It worked really well for all 3 cans (which had been sitting half used up for a few months). I was able to use all the paint this way. Good luck!

Reply to
Kristin Hansen

replying to Kristin Hansen, Plugged Paint Can in Pittsburgh wrote: You are awesome!!! I bought a can of bright yellow fluorescent spray paint a couple years ago and never used it because it wasn't the kind I needed. So today I was looking at a small metal coffee can and thinking I would put my gardenting tools in it but would paint it first. So I dug out the paint and tried using it but I got about 2 seconds worth out and it plugged up. Kinda ticked me off because I thought I bought a bad can. So, pouting, I came in the house to see what the experts have to say and found this site. I was getting kinda panicked when I read the guy who drilled holes in the can and ended up getting paint everywhere so I was thinking I'd take the next guy's advice and throw it away. Then I happened onto your response and thought I have nothing to lose. I tried it and it worked perfectly!! Thanks so much!!!

Reply to
Plugged Paint Can in Pittsburgh