clogged oil tank whistle

Just above my oil tank, the gauge is connected in a red boxlike connection, with the air pipe coming out of the tank. To fix the whistle can this air pipe connection and gauge be disconnected to fix the clogged whistle. Would it be necessary to cut the pipe above where the gauge/whistle is located?
On 5/20/16 2:44 PM, JanD wrote:

With the proper tools, you should be able to undo the pipe and fitting in order to clean the whistle.
On 5/20/16 2:44 PM, JanD wrote:

BTW, how long does it take for a reply to one of these Homemoaner's Hub posts to show up back at HH ?
On 5/20/2016 3:10 PM, Retired wrote:

Eleven to twelve years, just like Google Groups.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Dunno, but maybe you can get the oil supply company to do this. I'd say that even if it wasn't at all in their interest, because they're better equipped than most homeowners, and because they like to keep customers happy (and I'll bet at least once in a while, the drivers get back and wrap up their work in less than 8 hours. So from the boss's pov, they might as well be earning brownie points by doing something so related to their deliveries.) Add to that that if the whistle doesn't work and they pour oil all over your yard or whatever, they might be on the hook to repair it all, or if not, at least a homeowner might think so.
This is complicated by the fact that I thought the nozzle turned off automatically when the tank is full, but then why does the whistle exist (from the days before the nozzle turned off automatically?)
But anyhow, my guesses as a pretend lawyer are as follows: They have an obligation to turn the filling off when the tank is full, because they are the only ones in a position to do so. That's clear.
But are they entitled to rely on your having a functioning whistle. Normally, maybe, but if you've put them on notice that the whistle doesn't work, then they may no longer rely on it, and they have to rely on the automatic feature, which might fail at any minute, and he'll have to stand at the filler pipe to be ready to turn off the oil. That's an inconvenience for him. And even if he's there, a quart or more of oil might overflow. That's even worse.
So even though the obligation is totally on you to fix your whistle, in most cases the delivery man uses the whistle as a reminder to turn the pump off, even if it does this automatically, because the automatic part can break too, I'm sure. So since he uses the whistle, he and his boss are going to want it to work.
Just be sure and ask nicely and don't threaten them because if you threaten someone or are rude, he won't do even the things he's totally morally and legally obliged to do, much less this.
replying to Micky, JanD wrote: I asked very nicely and also found out it could be from $100 to $300. I guess in MA it's the law that they cannot deliver oil until it's fixed. I'm not having any lucky trying to get someone to look at it and give me an estimate. Could be costly.
On Sat, 21 May 2016 04:44:01 +0000, JanD

That's the other technique that will, besides obeying the alleged law, keep them from being sued.

Do you know what is making it dirty? Doesn't it have a cover? What is in there. Can you suck it out with a shop vac? (try not to suck out the oil too, grin.) Can you stuff a rag down on a stick and then pull out the stick and rag.
Where is the tank and the fill pipe and the pipe that whistles? inside, underground, etc?
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+clean+oil+tank+whistle&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Be sure to read the long answer by our own Jeff Wisnia, from 12 years ago. And everything else, for that matter.
I don't know which one it is. It might depend on whether it's 1936 or not: http://www.scully.com/product/ventalarm-tank-fill-signals/ http://www.scully.com/product/whistler-fill-signal/ The second one might be the new version.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-vin-scully-shares-favorite-call-of-career-20160520-snap-htmlstory.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=Ventalarm%C2%AE+Tank+Fill+Signals&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 https://www.google.com/search?q=Whistler%C2%AE+Fill+Signal&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
I doubt you need this but the pictures might help: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/282019590329?lpid &chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
JanD posted for all of us...

My oil supplier replaced the whistle w/o charge. The top hat was cracked and fell off when I brushed against it.
--
Tekkie