Clogged kitchen sink with garbage disposer

I peeled potatoes and like a fool, crammed them down th disposal instead of throwing them away. Now, when I turn on the disposal, all the water in the left side goes down the drain and comes up the right side of the double sink. This happened before, but it was fixed by removing some of the peels that I could see. Now, I see nothing and I have DRANO in my sink as well (Drano didn't work, as you might have guessed). Where should we go from here? Thanks in advance!
fantabular wrote:

I just checked our sink and found that disposal is on the right side. A Horizontal pipe from disposal connects to the left sink with a T joint then right below the left sink is the U trap.
When you run the disposal, it acts like a centrifugal pump that pushes the debris/water out the horizontal pipe. If there's less resistance going up than down, water will get pumped up the left sink.
I'd first inspect the U trap. Make sure you put a bucket under there before you pull it out :-). If this fails, you could plug the disposal side hole with a rubber plug that came with the disposal. Have someone hold down the plug. Fill the left sink and force the water down with a toilet plunger.

Your disposal plumbing is packed with partially ground potato goop. Get a pail big enough to fit under your drain trap, which will be on the sink next to the disposal. Put the drain plug in the sinks to minimize the water gush you'll get when the clog is removed. Then remove the horizontal pipe that runs from your disposal to the drain trap. It's possibly clogged. Take it and rinse the crap out. Use your laundry tub or some other sink, don't run more water into your kitchen sink. Then dis-assemble your drain trap the clean it as well. This should get most of the clog. Then re assemble everything, Revove the sink plugs, turn on the disposal and hope for the best. Flush out with lots of clean water. Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection for that draino water. You don't wan't that stuf on your skin or in your eyes.