Clogged Kitchen Sink

I have removed the U-trap and suspect that the pipe is clogged with grease and fat. I have a couple of questions:

(1) I have a 25-foot snake. Will that be long enough?

(2) I'm thinking of using chemicals first. Is sulfuric acid better than Liquid Plumer Gel (which I bought from Wal-Mart)? If I use Liquid Plumer Gel first, can I use sulfuric acid later?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Reply to
John Smith

Don't put fat and grease in your sink, or use plenty of soap if you do.

Depends where the clog is and whether a snake would even get to it. In my case kitchen sink drain is not vented. It drops through the floor to center of tee (with plug at one end) then across the basement ceiling with little slope. I imagine stuff accumulates at the tee.

I guess sulfuric acid might make it drain, from all the holes it makes in your pipes. Sodium Hydroxide (lye), which I think is what the old Drano crystals were, would probably work better, because that and fat/grease makes soap, which would further help with any remaining fat/grease.

I have had limited success with liquid drain cleaners. When I had trouble with the drain from my upstairs bathtub and sink, liquid drain cleaners (including gels) could not seem to get to or clear it. But after it slowly drained down, I dumped Spic&Span powder in the sink drain and then a teapot of boiling water, and that finally got it flowing.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Don't even think about it. It's not a household chemical. Perhaps you have it confused with sulfamic acid , a component of Sani-Flush years ago and sometimes used in lime removers today. These products are not for slow sinks. If your WalMart products and snake don't help, figure on redoing the plumbing paying particular attention to correct sizing and vents. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

  1. depends on where the blockage is.

  1. definitely not H2SO4.

If the pipe drains at all try this, pour in a quart of Ammonia and let it sit for 10 minutes then fill up the sink with HOT water. Then pull the plug with the hot water still running. This might break it loose. I use 1/2 quart of Ammonia in all of my drains once a month. It will cut the grease and loosen the hair. I helped a friend open a sink drain by lowering down one of the hose powered expandable plugs down his vent to the sink location. He said it would never work. It did and now he is using the Ammonia every month and has had no further problems. Had to hold a rag over the pipe to prevent the water from coming back at us.

Reply to
SQLit