clogged bathroom sink

Looks like most of my interior plumbing is pvc piping and wonder if its safe to use a little bleach for a bathroom sink to loosen a clog? It drains but slowly. I'll probably try a plunger first regardless but I've been meaning to ask if the bleach is safe for interior plumbing? My house was built in the late 90's if that matters. thanks.
Above the trap is a nut holding the stopper in place where the rod to close the drain connects. Remove that and pull out the stopper and you will likely find a hairball. Bleach won't hurt anything but it does speed corrosion, there's a new bleach with lye in it -clorox plus or extra or some such name. Works even better on clogs. rob wrote:

Are you sure the clog is not simply in the piping directly beneath the vanity top?
The plastic (PVC etc.) is typically very easy to disassemble and then thoroughly clean. Just put a pan beneath it while you work, to catch the water in the piping "trap," and put a reminder note or similar at the faucet handles, so as not to turn them on while you have things apart.
<rob> wrote

rob writes:

99% of the time, you can clear up a clogged bathroom sink by making yourself some sort of hook gizmo with a long handle, and using it to pull out a big tangle of hair. No chemicals necessary.
-Sandra
On 05 Sep 2006 12:25:22 -0400, Sandra Loosemore

Very true: Home Depot and such places sell this long (2-ft?) narrow white plastic blade with teeth on it that's very flexible and does a great job of grabbing and pulling out hair clogs. I can't find a link to it, but I have one, and it's very useful.

A pickup tool.
Click on item image for Flexible Retrieving Tool. 23" long shaft at:
http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku 518&eventPage=1
When you squeeze the handle plunger 4 prongs extend. When you let the plunger go they close and retract grabbing and holding whatever. I've even seen them in Wally World.
On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 11:21:40 -0500, rob wrote:

Bleach is safe on PVC but I doubt it will have much of an effect on a clogged drain. It will remove stains and bacterial growth. Bleach can attack metals if left on them too long. The plunger is your best bet; stuff a wet rag in the overflow before using the plunger. A bathroom sink is often clogged with hair especially if there is a household member with long hair. Try dumping a gallon of boiling water down the drain. Lye will dissolve hair and skin, so use with great care.
rob wrote:

The bathroom drains in my 8-year old house have gotten slow. I also have PVC. I saw a drain cleaning recipe in an RV group that has cleaned them out. It's as follows: Mix 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup salt, 1/4 cup cream of tartar. Pour 1/4 cup of mixture down the drain and follow it with 2 cups of boiling water. I don't know how it works, but it has helped keep my drains clear without dumping a lot of chemicals down the drain.
Dan

Um, last time I looked, sodium bicarbonate, sodium chloride, potassium bitartrate, and dihydrogen oxide were all "chemicals". ;-)
-Sandra the cynic
writes:

Sounds like a Chucky Cheese pizza to me...
Quint 5 wrote:

The boiling water will often clear up a slow drain all on its own.