Clocks, clocks, and endlessly more clocks

Digital wrist watch thermostat radio in truck radio in van wall clocks (seven or so) clocks at church (twenty six, I think)

And the list goes on. New batteries in most of them, including themostat.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I never wore a watch while out of the house. Everyone else had one or a phone or other device with a built in clock.

Reply to
Steve Stone

I was never without a watch for 50 years or so. One day a few years ago the battery died and I put the watch down and never picked it up again. Years ago, it was very hand, but now, you can barely glance in any direction and not see the time on some device. Cable box, GPS, phone, microwave, computer . . .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Stormy,

All done except the water softener, it's under the house. I find that alkaline batteries last about 3 yrs in the house smoke alarm, and that they give plenty of warning when it's replacement time. Thermostat batteries last years too. Never understood why you should replace them every year. Suspect that this is nonsense.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Battery - operated stuff does require more maintenance. My thermostat uses furnace power. Could yours be wired for that?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Both my programmable thermostats use battery power for at least the clock. Seems to be very common.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Most digital thermostats have battery to back-up time & settings when electric goes out.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Hi, My 'stat is wired to run off 24V AC control voltage, battery is back up when power fails. Lithium batteries I put when first installed are still there with full charge.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Ah, thermstat. Not got that one yet. It may be that I'm using out of date batteries, or it may be the clocks. But I get less than a year from the cells I use. Most likely out of date batteries. I replace the ones in my clocks and at church, each year twice at time change.

I do try to get the smoke detector every clock change, figure what's a dollar battery versus my life lost in fire.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Probably yes. I don't know. I havn't checked.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just checked my Honeywell thermostat and it updated by itself ... wow, what a concept! But, the el-cheapo Harbor Freight indoor/outdoor thermometer didn't. It was supposed to have a radio for atomic time, however, I think that's why they were sooooo cheap. I've seen 3 of them, and the atomic clock didn't work on any of them. Maybe I'm too far east, however, other atomic clocks seem to work. But I am in the mountains of NC and radio/TV/cell signals are iffy at best.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Yeah, the Honeywell programmable in my house had batteries for backup. I put a Honeywell in my motorhome because the original that came with it had severe cycle-itis. It was difficult to get the Honeywell to work as the motorhome is all on +12 DC, has and AC air conditioner/heat pump plus a 12 volt controlled propane furnace. So the 'tat runs on the batteries. I remove them when not traveling.

Reply to
Art Todesco

We have Dect 6 Panasonic phones...and I don't remember having to adjust them in 3 yrs? This last time I had to adjust it...hmmmm. (The stored information comes from the base station)

Reply to
bob_villa