clock on gas range

We have a Tappan gas range with self cleaning oven which works on a timed cycle. Having a wall clock, a clock on the microwave, clock on the coffee pot, and wrist watches, we don't pay a lot of attention to the stove clock.

Getting to the point, we notice it's not running. I've opened it up twice, first dousing the works with acetone trying to clean it. Last was liberally dousing it with lighter fluid. Still only runs for a few hours, then quits.

The oven now could stand a cleaning, and we fear it might get stuck in middle of clean cycle and leave us with a locked oven door.

Anyone have some ideas? For example, is the clock replaceable? And where we might the replacement? Or, everything being geared together on the back side, is the clock the actual problem?

Is there a replacement for the entire apparatus?

The stove is about 17 years old, and we're not anxious to replace it at this time.

Thanks in advance, Ace

Reply to
Ace

up twice,

till only runs for

=EF=BF=BDAnd where

i would check thew wiring diagram its probably on the back and just disconnect the clock, but check first if a replacement is available.

heck i have drilled holes and added togglew switches for stuff like this

Reply to
hallerb

there are companies that rebuild appliance timerzs, theyt might be able to help

Reply to
hallerb

I replaced the clock on a 20 year old GE; shouldn't be all that different. It should come out easily; then just take it to an appliance parts shop. Trying to identify the part on line is possible, but not fun.

Reply to
jack

Just turn it on to the cleaning cycle manually. Turn it of after a few hours. My timer stopped years ago and that is what we did. Finally bought a new range when the oven quit at 21 years. Bought a Bertazzoni and love it. Cooks so much better, especially the convection oven.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hmmm, Since you doused it with tw trong solvents, how about applying some lubricant? If you really want to clean it use ultra sound tank, then apply proper lubricant.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I work on antique clocks. The first thing to do is to properly clean it using non-residue cleaner. Even electrical contact cleaner will work IF it leaves no residue. Using something like WD-40 is death to clocks. WD-40 dries out and leves a gummy residue that is hell to remove.

The the clock should be SPARINGLY lubricated at each wheel (gear) pivot point with just a microdrop of real CLOCK oil. Google clock repair suppliers for clock oil.

HOWEVER, most such range clocks that are mechanical and not digital use a movement made by the former Telechron Division of GE. That division was spun off years ago and has drastically reduced their spare parts line.

Each such motor has a sealed capsule rotor in it. The rotor lubrication dries out and the rotor stalls stopping the clock. There are some individuals who rebuild Telechron rotors but it isn't cheap. New rotors, when available can range from $40 to $100 dollars. An entire new movement for an older range is rarely available. When they are, be prepared to pay some serious money.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Thanks Doug,

It seems you have probably described the problem, a stalled motor. Now I have some terminology, etc to start doing some serious google serches. Based on your comments, we'll probably have to live with it for a while, then replace the entire range?

Also, thanks to all other kind responders.

Ace

Reply to
Ace