Clips for recessed lights

Hi,

Is there an easier way to install a recessed light than having to use the clips that usually come with the package to keep the bracket in place and secure. I had to remove some recessed lights to check the wiring recently, and it was extremely difficult. I could not get these clips off. Eventually i was able to get the recessed light fixture out, but had done a bit of damge to the bracket in trying to get the clips out. The clips are basically useless now as well (they are all bent up).

If there are no other options than to use these clips, where would i be able to purchase replacement clips for these? Can these be purchased at places like Home Depot, or do they need to be ordered from the manufacturer of the fixture bracket.

Reply to
farseer

More than likely your hi-hat is in between 2 joists. What I did was take a long screw like about 3" or 4", depending how far away the joist is, and screw the hi-hat directly to the joist by screwing it through the hole that the clip was in.

Reply to
Mikepier

IMHO:

One thing that helped me when removing the lights, after installing, slide the clip down as low as possible without tryinjg to retract it, then use a sharp screwdriver to pry it back. This is what I did.

As for replacement, I thought I saw the, but not sure where. Call around.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

You don't mention a brand, but Lightolier, Progress, and Atlite all use a similar clip, which you can buy by the bag at any electrical supply that sells their products.

Reply to
RBM

Reply to
farseer