Clicking Oven Relay sound.

We had your typical 25+ year-old GE double ovens that we just replaced. The new oven uses the typical method of using a relay to change elements to keep the temperature even.

The problem is that I hear this clicking all over the first floor of my house. I cannot believe anyone would find this sort of clicking acceptable. I fully understand that it's normal and that replacement is pretty much a waste of time as the odds of getting a more quiet relay is pretty slim.

However, I'm wondering about methods to possibly mute the sound. The area behind the upper panel (where the relay must be given the origin of the sound, clearly cannot be getting all that hot or else there'd be a real problem. I was thinking about possibly adding some sort of insulator around it or the panel to mute much of the sound.

Does anyone have any thinking on this idea? Do you think it would work? If I did it, what would be the safest, yet possibly effective, material to use?

Reply to
Rich Heimlich

Hi Rich,

I'd be careful with adding insulation in the control area. You run the risk of voiding your warranty if anything should overheat and fail after you make this modification. Most models are 'fussy' about airflow. New Whirlpools have thermal fuses both on the back and near the electronic control, and insulating the console area may run the risk of blocking airflow and opening either one of these.

But adding small rubber spacers/washers under the pcboard mounting screws might be worth a try. Should at least tone the noise down somewhat.

Please let me know how this plays out, bc I have a feeling we'll be hearing about this one again.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter. (Back issues now posted here too!)

John 14:6

Reply to
Dave Harnish

Hi,

Slim to nil....but -may- be worth a shot if still under the warranty to see if another would be any quieter.

The control area getting hot HAS been a problem, many/most have a fan to circulate air around in the control area to keep the controls cool, some installations also ask for holes to be cut in the cabinet for more air flow through the unit!

Ear muffs ;) :D

Sorry,

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff