Clever idea to trace a phone line fault?

For some reason I have lost 1 of my 2 phone lines on the second floor. This would be the yellow/black pair. If I am correct, the jacks on the second floor start with the one in my bedroom. Directly below this is my office, which works. I don't understand why this would happen, I have done nothing to the jack in my office, it has never been out of the wall. So, I want to test for continuity between these two points. I don't have a tone generator, and don't want to buy one just for this. I'm wondering if anybody has another idea short of running a long wire from upstairs to downstairs.
Thanks, Jim

You already have available long wires running right to where you need them. Just twist the ends together at one end and measure at the other. Disconnect the red/green pair and use those as the returns, since you know they are good. Mice often chew wiring inside walls. There are several other ways a wire could fail as well.
red
Of course! Funny how the obvious escapes us (me)! Yes I do have a VOM.
Thanks all. Jim

Do you have a VOM to read continuity? I will bet on loose connections in the jack before the problem. If you do not have a meter and do not want to buy one then call a pro or run your cable.
jtpryan wrote:

Connect the yellow to the black upstairs.
Measure continunity between the yellow and the black downstairs.