Clear glass shower doors?

who said anything about safety glass? tmk, there aren't any code regs for safety glass in construction.

auto front windows are safety glass, but the 2 pieces of glass that make it up are not tempered. if they were tempered, there's be a lot more crushed heads and it wouldn't have to be safety glass. the plastic is there to hold the shards together. you want the glass to break, but not splinter or leave a hole for a head to go through.

all other auto windows are tempered, but not safety, glass.

Reply to
charlie

salty

Thanks for all of the input everyone. Sounds like the squeegee is the way to go if one is intent upon keeping the solid surfaces clean in there; just have to see if I can teach myself a new trick. :)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Rico-

So you've substituted sandpaper (400 grit?) for soap? j/k

I hear you on the chemicals vs mechanical but for some situations chemicals are the way to go. I admit the use of chemicals (but I think it prevents the triggering of my laziness because I'll tackle a job that might otherwise seem daunting)

But back to the OP's original question....... a quick wipe when the shower is done will keep the glass looking great for a LONG time with minimal work. If the squeegee is easily available it becomes an automatic end the one's shower.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Jon-

See if oyu can hang the squeegee in a convenient location within the shower stall

...of course, your wife or SO might object but having it easily available makes all the difference when it comes to using it on a regular basis. It becomes an easy habit in no time.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

You can't cut tempered glass - it shatters. You can cut safety glass, so that means it is not tempered. There is probably such an animal as tempered safety glass, but I've never run across it in anything residential.

RicodJour

It was a typo. I meant to write that SOME safety glass is tempered.

There are also many degrees of tempering.

Reply to
salty

Yep, like 1200 degrees! ;)

RicodJour

I understand it is a matter of personal taste, and I have run into other people who prefer a curtain.

Personally, I consider a shower door to be exponentially better than a curtain.

To each his own.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

You can teach yourself. But good luck on the kids and guests.

Reply to
Bob F

Do you expect your guests to do the dishes, empty the cat litter pan, etc.? They're guests! Unless you have a revolving door for the guests, the odd shower here and there won't really make a difference...unless _you_ are not taking showers everyday!

As far as the kids, it is the parents' job to teach them maintenance such as brushing their teeth, flushing the toilet and cleaning what they use. Shower squeegeeing falls into this last category. If you start the kid early it becomes a habit and second nature.

RicodJour

Yes, there are in current building codes. I'm not sure on shower doors / tub surrounds, but there are definitely requirements for low windows in certain areas.

Reply to
Pete C.

I've gone from towel to squeegee and back to towel (tub/curtain) without detecting any variation in what little might be left of what I've come to refer to as my former youthful industriousness.

Some say I've always been lazy but arguing seems like too much effort considering all the ancient evidence they can't seem to let go of.

I think a towel is easier and more effective getting the inside corners, the unused soap dish and the shiny parts. I dry me first and let what water will shed shed, then give it all a quick wipe. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

for safety glass? there are residential codes for tempered glass for low windows by doors, but what are the residential ones for safety glass? i think there are some codes for safety glass in certain places for schools (windows in doors, etc).

Reply to
charlie

Around here the term safety glass commonly refers to laminated glass, and tempered to tempered. That is not strictly correct. Safety glass can come in several flavors, or which tempered and laminated are two. This should help clarify things.

RicodJour