Clear glass shower doors?

Page 2 of 2

Jon Danniken wrote:

Mount a shower curtain inside the glass. This will keep them (mostly) from getting wet in the first place.
On Wed 21 Oct 2009 09:03:24p, Jon Danniken told us...

Use one of the various brands of "after shower" cleaning spray on your entire shower. Just spray on, no hands on cleaning, and you won't be scrubbing again, and clear glass stays clear.
--

~~ If there\'s a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

Jon Danniken wrote:

When I was a child I saw the man next door being given first-aid. He had fallen through the glass doors above the bathtub. That image is still in my mind 62 years later.

A few years ago I slipped in the shower and fetched up pretty hard against the shower doors. I thought sure I was a goner, but I just bounced off of them. I'm no lightweight (250 lbs), but those doors just rang like a bell and shrugged me off. I believe they were installed in 1992, and the previous owner of my house paid $800 for them, which was a ton of money IMHO.
They're clear. I hate them. (We used to have a well, and I'm not sure I've ever seen them clean.) But I don't hate them enough to replace them, or to make a lot of effort to clean them. We squeegee and when I feel like it I scrub them.
The track, however, is not too bad, being L shaped rather than U shaped.
Cindy Hamilton

A few years ago I slipped in the shower and fetched up pretty hard against the shower doors. I thought sure I was a goner, but I just bounced off of them. I'm no lightweight (250 lbs), but those doors just rang like a bell and shrugged me off. I believe they were installed in 1992, and the previous owner of my house paid $800 for them, which was a ton of money IMHO.
They're clear. I hate them. (We used to have a well, and I'm not sure I've ever seen them clean.) But I don't hate them enough to replace them, or to make a lot of effort to clean them. We squeegee and when I feel like it I scrub them.
The track, however, is not too bad, being L shaped rather than U shaped.
Cindy Hamilton
== tempered doors can withstand a golfball or baseball bat hit, or running into them pretty hard. it takes something sharp like a knife or nail, or a blow to an edge, before they'll blow.
62 years ago, they didn't have laws about tempered doors or windows.
On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 07:35:34 -0700, "charlie"

There is a difference between tempered glass and safety glass, although safety glass is also tempered.
Tempering makes it so the glass shatters into thousands of "pebbles", rather than into large pointy shards, which can be deadly.
Safety glass is tempered, but is also a sandwich with a layer of plastic in the center so that the pieces stay mostly in place, rather than flying. Auto windshield glass is like that.

who said anything about safety glass? tmk, there aren't any code regs for safety glass in construction.
auto front windows are safety glass, but the 2 pieces of glass that make it up are not tempered. if they were tempered, there's be a lot more crushed heads and it wouldn't have to be safety glass. the plastic is there to hold the shards together. you want the glass to break, but not splinter or leave a hole for a head to go through.
all other auto windows are tempered, but not safety, glass.
On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 07:55:07 -0700, "charlie"

charlie wrote:

Yes, there are in current building codes. I'm not sure on shower doors / tub surrounds, but there are definitely requirements for low windows in certain areas.

for safety glass? there are residential codes for tempered glass for low windows by doors, but what are the residential ones for safety glass? i think there are some codes for safety glass in certain places for schools (windows in doors, etc).

Around here the term safety glass commonly refers to laminated glass, and tempered to tempered. That is not strictly correct. Safety glass can come in several flavors, or which tempered and laminated are two. This should help clarify things.
http://www.codecheck.com/cc/images/SafetyGlazingArticle07.pdf
On Oct 22, 10:50am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

You can't cut tempered glass - it shatters. You can cut safety glass, so that means it is not tempered. There is probably such an animal as tempered safety glass, but I've never run across it in anything residential.
On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:44:26 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

It was a typo. I meant to write that SOME safety glass is tempered.
There are also many degrees of tempering.
On Oct 22, 12:48pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Yep, like 1200 degrees! ;)
Jon Danniken wrote:

Hi, I'd say it depends how hard your water is.