Cleanup of overspray

I am trying to clean some over spray of an oven. (Not my work.) :-)

As a former chemist, I have tried:

  1. Paint thinner
  2. TSP
  3. Rubbing alcohol
  4. Brillo pad (lightly)
  5. Ammonia
  6. Exorcism :-)

Any other ideas ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Oven cleaner? What exactly is the over spray? A food spill or something else?

Reply to
Muggles

You've not indicated what the oversprayed substance likely *is*! Also, I assume by "oven" you genuinely *mean* "oven" (i.e., not stovetop, etc.). Do you mean the oven's interior or exterior?

My GoTo solvents tend to be:

- soapy water (soaking things)

- alcohol

- mineral spirits

- acetone

- MEK

- xylene

- brake fluid etc.

The order in which I will try them and the ones that I will "disqualify" varies based on the material that I am trying to remove as well as the "base material" (that, presumably, I would like to protect/preserve, to some degree).

[N.B. Many of these are nasty and you should consult the associated MSDS before using]
Reply to
Don Y

For piffle dust, I recommend Amway Piffle Remover

Reply to
Micky

I dont even bother to reply to posts when they are this vague. If it's food, SAY SO! (and explain what spilled). Overspray is a term more associated with painting, not an oven spill. Anyone owning an oven should know about Oven Cleaner anyhow.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Bar Keepers Friend

Reply to
ObamaPhone

Far too complicated. Oven cleaners are typically lye and some detergent. Use hot water and a nylon scrubby pad.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's the only thing I can figure. Trying to clean the oven, and sprayed some clean area.

Warm or hot water, and a scrubby. Might try diluted vinegar, as the oven cleaner is alkalai.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oddly enough, both eco friendly, and actually does work. I used to love LOC when I was Amway distributor.

I got a used TV which stank of cigarette film. Bit of Zoom and warm water and a rag, and the nicotine came right off.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I also don't bother to reply to posts when they are this vague.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And yet you responded to a follow-up post, saying basically what you probably would have said had you responded to the original post.

Interesting.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sometimes, a person just can't remember to put everything they need to know in their initial post. I don't mind responding and asking for clarification.

Reply to
Muggles

There is one Andy who posts stupid stuff like this all the time. This might be he.

Reply to
Micky

Folks, I just noticed. The OP is Andy .

He goes from one ng to another posting off-topic, irrelevant, and often stupid posts. He should see a psychological therapist.

I'm sorry I wasted my time answering him (kerplunk).

Andy, grow up.

Reply to
Micky

As my post CLEARLY says, it is not my work.

If I knew what the over spray was, I would have found a way to remove it.

Reply to
Andy

Forgot to take your meds ?

anger_management.com

Reply to
Andy

"AS A FORMER CHEMIST", you should understand the need for specificity in questions and statements. You wouldn't say "mix them together" without clearly indicating what "them" indicates, the quantities involved (if not implied) and any other special instructions regarding HOW to combine them -- along with any precautions to be observed in doing so.

As I asked:

- is it *in* the oven (the oven is the large enclosure into which one would typically place items like TURKEYS to be roasted)?

- is it *on* the stovetop (the stovetop is the nominally flat surface on top that one places pots to be heated)?

The likely remedies that would be suggested when trying to clean the ENAMELED, self-cleaning interior of the oven are very different from the "glass" cooktops (which self-destruct when a pot boils over and isn't IMMEDIATELY cleaned) which, in turn, are different than the remedies suggested if the oven EXTERIOR had been "dirtied".

Reply to
Don Y

Since you didn't say, we all therefore know that the overspray is inside the oven, on the left side. So, you'd use hot soapy water to remove the oven cleaner over spray.

Of course, if you wanted, you might provide some more useful information. Rather than just vague trolling.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And from Andy's posts, he CLEARLY won't tell us any more detail (such as the information you and I both requested.)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You should not have assumed that it was inside the oven.

I forgive you.

Andy

Reply to
Andy