Cleaning up epoxy

Is there a solvent that will clean epoxy glue from your hands or anything else while it is still tacky?
--
"17 whiskies... A record, I believe."
Dylan Thomas' last words.

Acetone is the solvent of choice, but the epoxy had better be pretty fresh.

Vinegar will eat some epoxies.
Jim
Dick Smyth wrote:

alcohol works.. if it dries then i have to use sandpaper to get it off my hands..... gotta do it a few times and its like it removed with some of the old skin......
:Dick Smyth wrote: :> :> Is there a solvent that will clean epoxy glue from your hands or anything :> else while it is still tacky? :> -- :> "17 whiskies... A record, I believe." :> Dylan Thomas' last words.:fingernail polish remover, lacquor thinner, acetone, even rubbing :alcohol works.. if it dries then i have to use sandpaper to get it off :my hands..... gotta do it a few times and its like it removed with some :of the old skin......
Fingernail polish remover is actually just acetone, and acetone is all I ever use for this and it does a great job. It has several advantages over the other suggestions. For one thing it's non-toxic. For another, it evaporates very quickly. I buy it in gallon containers once in a while and pour off into small bottles for use. Acetone is miscible with water (i.e. mixes with it, like alcohol), so you can wash or dilute it with water, unlike thinner. It IS quite flammable, so be careful around sparks or fire, is about the only danger warning I'd give about it.
To clean your hands, apply acetone to a bit of cloth and rub. To clean epoxy from tools, apply acetone with a cloth before or after scraping. Acetone will soften even hardened epoxy, IIRC.
Acetone is also a very good cleaning agent, but beware - it attacks and softens many kinds of plastic.
<< Acetone will soften even hardened epoxy, IIRC. >>
Not so. Has no effect at all. Cured epoxies can be attacked by methylene chloride. However it is not a solvent, but rather it causes cracks in the cured resin and failures of joints with dissimilar materials. Epoxies, like other thermoset resins such as phenolics, melamines, (and that crap that deposits in your snowblower carbureter) tend to shrug off common solvents. But acetone is a preferred solvent for any fiberglass/resin work because it is a such an effective cleaning agrny. HTH
Joe
Dick Smyth wrote:

Believe it or not, water and Boraxo works quite well.
The first thing I do when starting to use stuff that may stick to me or my tools and I do not want the stuff to be there permanently is to read the label before I start. I would suggest that it is a good habit to get into. Knowing beforehand has let me clean up such stuff as JB Weld before it sets with soap and water.
Charlie

Alcohol or acetone.Also,keep a large baggie of talcum powder handy,and if you get some epoxy on your hands,dip them into the talcum powder and rub them together.
You should be wearing gloves anyways,as you can be sensitized to the epoxy and develop allergic reactions to it. Wear old clothes,as once epoxy sets,your are NOT getting it out/off clothes.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net