cleaning sulfuric acid stains from brick pavers

Have a golf cart business that leaves sulfuric acid stains on brick pavers after batteries have been charged. It has the appearence of the color of rust. Customers are complaining about the stains on their pavers. Any soulution to remove these stains would be appreciated.
On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 00:44:02 +0000, Bill's Cart Service wrote:

Dunno why the color is that of rust, but, in alt.home.repair I posted a bunch of pictures where I removed real rust stains (from tools left outside all winter) on plastic outdoor tables with pool acid.
The caveat was that I was removing real rust stains; and that the medium was plastic.
In your case, who knows what the rust-colored stain really is; and, depending on what the paver is made out of, the pool acid may eat into the paver (so you must test in an inconspicuous area first).
Someone else should know a lot more; but that's all I can offer without knowing what the rust-colored stain is made out of.
'Danny D.[_11_ Wrote: > ;3096498']On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 00:44:02 +0000, Bill's Cart Service > wrote:

What have you tried so far?
Is it possible to liberate some old used carpeting from the dumpster of any carpet retailer in your area and park the golf cart over scrap pieces of carpet before recharging their batteries?
If it wuz me, I'd probably try hydrochloric acid since the only thing reddish brown I know of is iron oxide, and hydrochloric acid will dissolve rust.
--
nestork

On 7/23/2013 7:44 PM, Bill's Cart Service wrote:

Have you tried battery terminal cleaner sold at auto parts stores? You could try a small spray can of it before looking for a larger container from a battery warehouse. There is a Crown Battery commercial location on the other side of town from me and companies like that have very knowledgeable folks on their staff. O_o
TDD
"Bill's Cart Service"
in message

Why/how is acid getting out of the batteries?
I'm trying to figure out what sort of stains you actually have. Your description of being rust colored has gotten you suggestions on how to remove rust but I don't think that's what you have. Acids can induce iron to rust but they don't create it; the opposite in fact.
My best guess is that the acid has dissolved some of the paver surface. If that's it, no cure.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 11:36:19 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

Maybe dissolve some more paver surface to even it out?
On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:01:46 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:

That is my take too. I'm not sure calling it a stain is the right terminology. If you put acid on something it can react with, the chemical reaction turns what is there into something else and that portion is gone and not recoverable.

might be an option if the look of those "stained" areas is acceptable and the rest of the pavers is not a real large area. It's also possible that the acid removed a layer of old, faded paver and left the new exposed. In that case, power washing the rest might even it out.

My thought too, but there is a cure.
First wash with water. If that doesn't clear up the problem, get a paver puller and some replacement pavers. Done deal.
--
Dan Espen

wrote in message

If you have battery acid leaking then you have a major problem with the batteries. This needs attention or your golf carts will corrode away apart from the safety aspect (someone could get an acid burn).

I haven't seen a battery as bad as that for years now. And never seen one so bad that acid leaks on to the floor. A bit of WD40 or similar on the terminals cuts out most of the terminal corrosion problems.
Most batteries for traction applications are sealed in case the vehicle overturns when the driver could be burned otherwise.

Bill's Cart Service wrote:

Acid is used to intentionally do "acid staining" of concrete to change the color of the concrete. So, I doubt that anything will "reverse" the stains that you are causing on people's concrete or brick pavers.
I like the ideas that others suggested of using a "paver puller" to remove the damaged pavers and either replace them or flip them over etc. Or, maybe switch them out with other pavers that are in a non-visible location.
Obviously, something needs to be put down under where the work is being done so no acid or anything else drips down and damages the surface of whatever is underneath. That would be true for any type of on-sight vehicle repair service.
If Bills Cart Service is your real name, it looks like you are in the Houston, TX area