Cleaning stuck on grease off range hood

I have a range hood over my stove. I am in the process of trying to clean the spots of grease that have stuck on. I don't want to use anything abrasive as it will take the finish off the range hood. Any suggestions other than picking at it with my fingernail?
Ultraglide writes:

Oven cleaner.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Bye bye finish. Assuming it isn't porcelain which is very doubtful.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH writes:

Well, yeah, if you have a paint finish roughly equal to baked-on grease in tenacity. You're just outa luck then; shoulda bought stainless.
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:39:58 -0500, "Ultraglide"

Household Degreaser?
Oren --
Ultraglide wrote:

What kind of finish does it have? A new plastic scraper might work on painted finish.
Ultraglide wrote:

Methyl alcohol.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Go buy yourself one of those portable little steam cleaner machines like the scunci steam cleaner. Takes the grease right off. got mine at Menards.
-dickm
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:39:58 -0500, "Ultraglide"

Small brush and Dawn dishwashing detergent. If this doesn't work well, try a 50/50 mix of Dawn and household ammonia. To allow this mixture to work (so you don't), hold a paper towel on the surface, spray this mixture onto it, then wait an hour which should soften the grease. You could also try a baking-soda paste. Please let us know what worked for you.
group alt.home.repair:

washing soda
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
Ultraglide wrote:

Brake cleaner. Be sure to ventilate VERY well and protect any nonmetalic surfaces. It'll get it squeaky clean.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

kinda toxic,isn't it? also,doesn't brake fluid remove paint? It does on cars.
I'd try using a gel automatic dishwasher detergent solution,then follow with a regular cleaner.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Yes, the fumes are toxic. That's why I suggested you ventilate "VERY well". Yes, brake fluid removes paint. However, I didn't suggest using brake fluid; I suggested brake cleaner. I use it on guns and it doesn't damage the finish. I don't get any on the wood though.... just the metal.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in

MAN,I need to read more carefully.My apologies.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Not a problem.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

...and it's slick!!
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in

Carb cleaner can cut crap well. Again, the paint issue you have to be careful of.

I've been fairly successful with Greased Lightning and a toothbrush.