Cleaning Stippled Ceiling

I recently purchased a home with a dirty stippled ceiling. The pointy tips of the stippling are dirty, and I'd like to remove most of the junk before I paint the ceiling. Also, I don't want to do too much damage to the texture.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Paint over it. You have to get an extraordinary thick roller made for the purpose and ONLY pass an area once. NEVER GO BACKWARDS OR YOU WILL REMOVE THE TEXTURE. Once you paint one coat the ceiling will be able to take much more abuse without damage.

pointy tips

Reply to
Art Begun

We have used a) A broom (don't worry if some tips get broken off and b) A vacuum cleaner with a hose and if you've got it a hose with a brush on end of it. Then paint with 'fluffy' roller. Terry

Reply to
Terry

It's hard enough to paint over textured ceiling without making it fall off (as mentioned by Art), and I think it's a bit anal to try to clean it first, so get a foam roller made for the purpose and follow Art's suggestion.

-B

If its a sponge and plaster texture, it can be cleaned with a broom, just ignore the pointy bits falling off, its gonna happen regardless, and won't change the asthetics of the ceiling.

But if its the foam ball spray on texture, refrain from cleaning and take care painting as this texture is the one apt to "peel" off when painting.

-c.

Reply to
Chris T