Cleaning sink drain? ? ?

20 inches, 18 of that is usable. See
The company says they recommend using a snake for blockages that are further down the drain than that. But using the Zip it on an occasional basis in the future will greatly reduce the odds of such a blockage recurring.

I see one of the customer comments is about using these to clean out vacuum cleaner hoses. I hadn't thought of that. I'd cobble two together to make an extra-long one for fishing through a vacuum cleaner hose.

At any rate, it's cheap, it's simple to use, so you're out very little money or effort to try it first.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

I've used all of these methods to clean out a vacuum hose at one time or another:

1 - Connect the hose to the "output" end of the vacuum cleaner and blow the blockage out. 2 - Drop a weight down the hose and shake it so the weight pounds the blockage and dislodges it. 3 - Put a garden hose in the vacuum hose and use water pressure to dislodge the blockage.

Yes, the last one is a bit extreme, and you should let the hose dry out before you use it, but trust me, it works.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Why do you say that?

If the hair never gets hung up within the reach of the Zip It, what purpose would using it "on an occasional basis" serve?

You must be assuming that some hair remains within reach of the tool for a period of time and then suddenly, or perhaps over time, moves its way farther down and out of reach.

I'm not sure why you would make that assumption. It has certainly never been my experience to find some small amount of hair in the trap or above when I disassemble the drain to get to the section inside the wall.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Because stuff could be getting hung up initially within the reach of the Zip it, so removing it before it has a chance to move farther on down, lodge and accumulate more would be prudent.

Hey, you know what? That's actually been known to happen!

So that's been your experience with your plumbing. Many other people have had different experiences. A lot of clogged traps have been disassembled over the years. It's a shame that your setup is somehow making it harder for you to clear blockages.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

So how about we change the words "*will* greatly reduce the odds of such a blockage recurring" to "*might* greatly reduce the odds of such a blockage recurring"?

That was the only point of my response. In my case, I do not believe it will.

Reply to
DerbyDad03