I have a exhaust range hood that gathers a lot of grease. I have been
cleaning the metal filters regularly but the fans and the motors have
trapped quite a bit of grease. I can disconnect and remove the fan/
motor assembly from the hood. I am thinking of dipping them into a
degreaser, such as Simple Green diluted with water, for a few hours,
then thoroughly rinsing & drying them before putting them back. The
concern I have is whether the degreaser would damage anything inside
of a motor. Any thoughts? Thanks in adv.
That might remove the bearings lube also. Just brush over the outside with
paint brush and mineral sprits then wipe dry and then wash with a rag of
Simple Green. This way you won't destroy the bearings. WW
Water in a motor sounds like a bad idea. I think it may
be difficult to dry too (water in the motor windings).
I guess you could bake the thing at > 100C but that
seems a bit dodgy also. Heck I've even seen paper used
as an insulating material in some old motors.
Chances are your solution (pun intended) will shorten
the life of the motor more than the original problem.
Unless, of course, there's so much grease that the
thing constitutes a major fire hazard! That's a real
problem in commercial settings but not normally a
big issue in a residential environment.
I would clean the parts as thoroughly as possible
without actually immersing motors and such like in
any aqueous solution. Nor would I use any organic
solvents unless I was quite certain the specific
part(s) could handle it.
| Malcolm Hoar "The more I practice, the luckier I get". |
This one nasty, time consuming project, and may not even be
successful. Consider a new range hood, especially one with better
grease handling capabilities. You might also ponder the consequences
of a diet that is so heavily oriented to fatty fried foods.
The bearings are the real issue and drying them would be near
impossible before damage might occur even sealed bearings you might
let in water as some air escapes. I used to clean small dc motors for
RC cars in I think with dry cleaning fluid [because its been 20 years
I dont remember what fluid I used] by running them under power in the
fluid, but the bearings were open to be re oiled and the fluid has no
water and is made to evaporate quickly so what I did was an acepted
way of cleaning them, google electric motor cleaning. But I think its
unessary for a stove vent to go that far and what you propose is
likely 95% water. If bearings are open or have a oil port oil them and
wipe the casing and be done. Running them in liqued is fun but I was
using 12v dc, not 120 AC. If the motor has brushes remove them to
check whats left.
I'd clean the motors by hand with a rag. Alcohol might work. That
old grease is hard to get off. If you use a lot of soap on the motor
then after it is fully dry reapply oil to the pads around the bearings.
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, the motor bearing would be a problem.
I used alcohol to wipe the motor bodies and only dip the squirrel
cages in Simple Green solution. Everything is reasonably clean now.
As for the grease in my diet, I try to vaporize the fat out through
the vent rather than to keep it in the food :-)
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.