Cleaning pc

I gotta ask. Did all the people cautioning not to rev the cooling fans with high PSI air learn about it the hard way, like I did? (-"

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I use the compressor (and some common sense) all the time.

Reply to
clare

If you keep your compressor tank drained you don't get moisture in the lines - and a water trap is a common accessory.

Copmmon sense goes a long way - but is getting hard to find.

Reply to
clare

I used to use the compressed air approach but now I use a leaf blower. Unhook everything, take off the side panels, and take outside and blow everything out of all the nooks and crannies. It works great, and no, I've never had a CPU fan go bad from overspeeding but I don't leave the airstream on it for a long time either.

Reply to
SRN

My backpack leaf blower would blow a PC over.

Reply to
Dan Espen

As a real fart smeller said long ago "Common sense isn't".

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

One of my pc's has a health check program, which supposedly checks the pc for problems. The last time it ran, it gave me a message that the pc should periodically be cleaned. I've been doing this with a vacuum, but they suggested a can of compressed air. Cans of compressed air are surprisingly expensive, so I started thinking of using my air compressor, or a politician.

Would an air compressor work? I'm wondering if I can set it low enough to insure the computer is not harmed.

------------------------------------

I worked at a PC repair shop for years. We always used a compressor and ALWAYS used a moisture trap in the air line (cheap!) to clean almost every computer that came into the shop. Also as you mention, be a little careful with extreme high pressure but we used pressure much higher than comes out of a can. ALWAYS hold the fan blades still with fingers, pencil, etc. to keep them from spinning too fast. They are usually cheap plastic and can break blades easily. I have heard that spinning the fans backwards from their normal direction can create a possibly dangerous "reverse" current. I don't know about this but holding the fans still solves that problem too.

Moisture, dirt and heat are the enemy of electronics. A careful, frequent, cleaning can save big expenses. When parts get dirty and quit cooling, it is the motherboard or processor that usually suffers... most expensive parts and often not replaceable after a few years.

How often? maybe once a month, maybe once every couple of years... just look at filters, fan blade edges, cooling vents and cooling fins.

No moisture trap? Empty water from air tank (valve at bottom) and spray air on a piece of paper or wood.... depending on local humidity, you may or may not see much moisture. Then its your call... After cleaning, let the computer sit a few hours or overnight in a dry (air conditioned or heated) atmosphere before starting.

Moisture trap or not, if you see mist being blown into computer, dry it (as above) for a few hours before starting.

-- -- Les Stewart Nacogdoches, TX s t e w a r t 5 4 3 2 1 @ g m a i l . c o m (remove spaces)

Reply to
Les Stewart

Always use A vacuum cleaner, to suck up dust and dirt out of a computer, For the fans suck up dust and dirt in to the computer, and the right way is to suck out..

it ok to use a low compress air on the out side of a computer,

This is just plan old computer know how, one on one.......

Reply to
Hot-Text