Cleaning Paint Rollers

Page 2 of 2

Seattle pays big bucks to ship their garbage to a far away site. It makes more sense to reduce the amount of garbage when it gets that expensive.

Sending dried latex to a hazardous waste facility is an absurd waste of resources.

I was thinking of oil-based products.
But in any case, I don't agree that it's "an absurb waste..." They may have ways of disposing other than your friendly neighborhood landfill.
Aspasia
<aspasia> wrote in message> >Sending dried latex to a hazardous waste facility is an absurd waste

Our solid waste facility is pretty clear about it. If it's dried - it's garbage. They do take latex paint at the hazardous waste facility - which the offer for re-use.
Bob
Bob F wrote:

I don't understand, Bob. Someone can go to your local waste facility and select cans of paint to use, or do you mean that they recycle it through a paint or other manufacturer?
Bob F wrote:

I don't understand, Bob. Someone can go to your local waste facility and select cans of paint to use, or do you mean that they recycle it through a paint or other manufacturer?
snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com says...

I can't speak for Bob, but ours mixes it all together, filters it, and sells it as "Local Color" paint.
http://www.cswd.net/hazardous_waste/localcolor.shtml
--
Keith

RicodJour wrote:

I canot speak for Bob F either.....but I can for Bob K...
In OC, CA we have a toxic waste drop off center where they take household chems no longer wanted, needed or unusable. Any items that are in re-usable condtion they put in the "free store" & you can take up to 5 itmes per week. Fertilizer, spa / pool chems, paint (brush & spray) household cleaners, DIF wallpaper remover, etc......Once I found out about this deal, I never paid for Spa chems again.
I never took any of the brush / roll on paint but I got lots of spray spray paint, carb cleaner & motor oil.
cheers Bob

it's
offer
Pretty much the same deal in Seattle. 30 item limit.
Bob

Whatever "latex" paint is made out of, it is definitely NOT made out of latex rubber.
jeffc wrote:

yup
from www.paint.org
.......latex paint is not made with latex rubber; in fact the name "latex" is really just a decorative way to describe rubber-based paint. Latex paint is a carefully formulated polyvinyl material with acrylic resin and has never contained natural rubber. ,.......
cheers Bob
aspasia wrote:

Why can't you wrap the "toxic" paint roller in a plastic trash bag and THEN put it in the landfill? Since plastic NEVER breaks down, you're golden forever.
As to landfills "devouring" prime land, nonsense. When the dump fills, you cover the area with topsoil and build low-cost housing on the site. The kids that live there will look a little funny (three ears, etc.), but you'll put the land to good use.
jeffc wrote:

Washing the roller sends something like 1/2 quart of good paint down the drain. Wrap the sleeve and stick it in the freezer. It'll keep for years. Next time you need the same color, or you need to touch up, just pull out the roller and thaw it.

In any case, you should be squeezing all that excess paint back into the can with a painter's tool before disposing of anyway.
I never clean roller covers.
Just finished painting my 3,200 sqft house with a manual roller. Took me two weeks, part time, including preparation. I used one roller frame and cover. When stopping work for any length of time, or overnite, I soaked the roller in paint and wrapped the roller and frame tightly in a grocery type plastic bag.
This keeps the roller wet and workable for at least 3 days. After I finished painting the house, I threw away the roller cover. No cleanup.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Plastic wrap or produce bag works better. Can last for weeks or months in frig if fully covered. Two good size grocery bags (one from each end) are good for covering the entire tray. I've tossed that in the frig as well.

I start cleaning rollers in the laundry tub. Run the water and roll the roller back and forth in it till a goodly portion of the paint is gone. Then I screw it onto a 6 foot extension handle and take it out onto the lawn. I used a hose nozzle adjusted to a powerful blast to wash and spin the roller. At first, I hit the roller fairly directly so it spins slowly, sweeping the water back and forth across the roller. Tip the roller so it doesn't spray you. As it gets cleaner, move the water spray to hit the roller on the edge so it spins very fast. When it's all clean, spin it very fast and remove the water quickly so it spins dry.
I never have problems with rollers I clean this way.
Bob
Paul wrote:

Vacuum cleaner or a spinner for the fuzz. As everyone else said, buying a decent roller cover prevents shedding and always use the minimal necessary nap thickness for your surface.
I clean rollers not to save money, but to make sure I have one around next time I need it. The best trick I know of for rollers is to scrape the majority of the paint back into the can with a stir stick or 5 in 1 tool and fill a bucket with water. Fill with bucket with water and submerge the roller in it. Shake it around under water, dump the bucket, and refill it. It usually takes me around 4 fills to get it completely clean. You know you're done when the water stays clear. If you do it this way, the roller will dry soft and with no stiff paint residue.