Cleaning paint-roller pans

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
Two words: Pressure washer.

You may recall I used a pressure washer on some interior walls(!).

Well, the walls are painted; now it's time to clean up. Since the pressure
washer was still sitting on the walkway, well, why not?

Done it three minutes!

It used to take me twenty minutes or more to clean a roller pan in the sink.
Now the job is over before I can recite the Gettysburg Address! Plus, the
clean-up is almost enjoyable.

(I didn't try the rollers - they went in the trash.)

Re: Cleaning paint-roller pans
I use plastic shopping bags as paint tray liners.  Makes cleaning up a
snap.  Have also used those prewashed salad bins as handy disposable
paint trays for smaller rollers.

As for rollers, for latex paints I use microfibre rollers now.  Easy to
wash with cold water.

Pressure washer is a unique idea but I dunno if I'd wanna set-up all up
for 2 or 3 minutes cleanings.

Re: Cleaning paint-roller pans

Wow, I never could justify a pressure washer, but this is making me
re-evaluate that position.

Re: Cleaning paint-roller pans

Where do you do this?
Where does the paint/water mix go?

--
Dan Espen

Re: Cleaning paint-roller pans
The lawn, where I hope it will kill the weeds.

Re: Cleaning paint-roller pans
I went to a painting seminar at the local Home Show. The seminar instructor
advocated a "paint brush spinner". Here's one that also holds rollers:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)

His tips for cleaning up after latex paint included the following magic
ingredient:

Fabric Softener.

For cleaning oil-based tools:
1. A couple of dips (and spins) in paint thinner, followed by...
2. A similar attack with a 50-50 mix of paint thinner and alcohol, followed
by...
3. A final attack with 100% alcohol.

Re: Cleaning paint-roller pans
+1 to that.  Just picked up some for 75c a piece.
No fuss, no muss.  I also have one of the smaller
paint cans with a strap you can hold in your hand
and they have liners for that too.

Anyone have tips for how to get any latex paint
off brushes after some of it has hardened?  Most
of it comes right off, but at the end of the day, there
is that stubborn line higher up on the brush where it
has partially dried.

Re: Cleaning paint-roller pans
Easy Off brand of window cleaner. Now GONE from the market!

Simply spray and wipe, line disappeared.

I've tried several other brands, nothing the same.  But, Walmart brand
in mechanical pump comes close.

Re: Cleaning paint-roller pans
1. Alcohol
2. Paint remover

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Re: Cleaning paint-roller pans
In article

[snip]

Use a wire brush and brush down the bristles.

--
charles

Re: Cleaning paint-roller pans
On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 18:08:42 -0700, ctbishop@earthlink.net (Charles

Yup.  Only way after it dries.
The best way is to avoid it in the first place.
I always tried to wash my brushes out when they got loaded up near the
handle, or clean them with spirits if using oil.
Even if the job wasn't done yet.
Didn't always work out, but usually did.
Once the paint dries on the bristles, a wire brush is the only way I
could get it out.  You might lose some bristles.

--Vic

Re: Cleaning paint-roller pans
Yep.
Painting tip I heard at the local Home & Garden show was to use TWO brushes.
When one got loaded up, dunk it in a pail of water (with fabric softener)
and move to brush #2.

When brush #2 gets loaded, exchange it for brush #1. Rinse #1 back to
pristine condition and you're good to go.

Re: Cleaning paint-roller pans

When I was painting, I usually used a 5  gallon bucket with a screen. If I
used roller pans, I got the plastic liners and put them in the metal pan.
Once any left over paint dried, they could be reused a few times before I
threw them away. At $.50 for a liner, it saved a lot of tilme.

For rollers, I'd put them in a bucket of warm water and soap and let them
bounce around in the bed of my truck on the way home. Rinse them out a
bit, then throw all of them (usually 4+ on a job, in the washing machine
to get the remained of the paint out. Let them air dry.

If you're painting over several days, don't clean the roller covers each
day, but wrap them in plastic, label the color and store. Over a period of
days, they can go in the freezer.

--
chalres

Re: Cleaning paint-roller pans
Oooo! Really good idea about the washing machine!

I routinely put my mop head in the washer, but never considered rollers.

Why not expand the concept to brushes?

Re: Cleaning paint-roller pans

Shhhhhh.
--
charles

Re: Cleaning paint-roller pans
Women are strange creatures. Mine insists on washing coffee cups.

I don't know why.

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread

Site Timeline