cleaning paint brush in fabric softener (Question)

I was at my son's house today and he had just finished a small paint project. I saw him pour something from a container that looked like a half gal milk box.
I asked what it was and he said cheap / generic fabric softener that he soaks his brush in for about an hour and that it makes them easier to was. He was using latex paint.
Personally, I never heard of anything like this. He said he got the idea from his bro-in-law.
Anyone ever hear of this?
PS: I'm sure sounds like a troll, but it's for real.
Bob-tx
I like to clean them and then cover them in murphys oil. I've been using the same cut-in brush for years.

I use hair conditioner on my good brushes.